Thread: Instrument cluster 100% dead - 2009 2.0 TDI 3C

Post Thanks / Like

Instrument cluster 100% dead - 2009 2.0 TDI 3C

Hi guys! My GF has a 2009 Passat 3C 2.0 TDI.

Her relative tried to change a xenon bulb on the car, and after that the IC is now completely dead. We have no idea what he could've done that caused that. Nothing works on it anymore. It seems like it doesnt get any power whatsoever. I was told by a VW dealer that the instrument cluster needs to be replaced, and it would cost alot.

I bought a used one, replaced it, and it shows the same results.. So I tried to measure the voltage on the pins on the IC plug. Only pin 29 showed me 2.2v, rest either were 0v or -0.5v etc.
    For all I know, the used IC that I bought could also be dead, but most likely not..

How do I know if the IC gets the power it needs? Also, are there any "hidden" fuses that could cause the IC to go all black?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I introduced myself now. Sorry!

So I just scanned the codes and the relevant codes were: 49493 Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module. I can soon post better error codes as soon as I get a cable that I can connect to my pc.

Weird.. I bought a used IC and I got the exact same results after I swapped it. Am I really that unlucky that the used IC also is bad..

Edit: Is it true that I have to delete the error codes after I replace the IC with a new one? Cuz I didnt do that.
    Last edited by kristoffermh; 11-09-19 at 00:27.
    G/F: 2009 Passat 3C 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I just stripped the IC completely, insepcted it and cleaned it properly with alcohol. I cant see anything burnt or damaged whatsoever. It has to be something else :/

Edit:

So I took a multimeter and measured the voltage outputs again on the 32pin plug that goes into the IC while I had the key in ignition and here are the results:

Pin 11: 0.55v
    Pin 25: 10.9v
    Pin 28: 3.0v ish
    Pin 29: 2.2v
    Pin 31: 11.75v

Rest of the pins didnt have any power.
    Last edited by kristoffermh; 11-09-19 at 12:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I figured it out. I cleaned the chassis grounds that were easly accessible and swapped all the fuses that were relevant to the IC. Now it finally works! Wohoo!

All the old fuses that I swapped out seemed to be ok, so I guess it was the chassis grounds.