Thread: Replacement EGR

Post Thanks / Like

Replacement EGR

I need to change my EGR - first concern is getting the right part.

Where can someone not in the trade purchase a genuine part without paying the earth for it?
    2010 Golf Estate BlueMotion 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell you the part numbers of hand whether Crasher can.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/ keep this in your favorites/bookmarks for reference. As it will save me checking ETKA.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you sent me that link before and I couldn't get to the site.
    This time I've managed to get to the site, but I can't see how I can use it - if I click on any of the part codes, I just get "Whoops something went wrong".

Perhaps you misunderstood my first sentence regarding the "right part". I don't mean the right part NUMBER - I mean the right "brand". I'd like to get an OEM quality brand and the best way to ensure that is to go via a dealer that the local garages use, but can the public access that?

Edit - a quick phonecall answers that question - Nope they won't.

So I'm left with a choice of either purchasing through the VW dealer: 360 + ~100 for the replacement gaskets
    Alternatively, I can get a Pierburg for 220 online.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by notrub42; 16-09-19 at 12:19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well in the end I plumped for the Pierburg which is probably what's installed anyway.

Working my way through the job - looks like the exhaust gas recirculation pipes and the turbo oil supply line should come off easily enough. Just hoping there's enough movement in the particulate filter to let the EGR valve slide out that way. My local garage said they take the RH driveshaft out - I can see it would make things a bit more accessible, but hopefully it won't be necessary!

I'd been losing oil (not much) but think I've found out where that's coming from as there is quite a bit of dried oil around the turbo oil supply line banjo bolts. I'm also losing coolant, and hear that I may discover some of that in the EGR (where it shouldn't be!) - that would be nice as otherwise I've got to figure out where it IS going.

Quite surprised by my local VW garage when I went in today to pick up the new gaskets - they only had the small banjo bolt and o-rings in stock and when pressed they said that's because they only replace the small one when they do an EGR! I thought it was a mandatory renewal if the job is done to the book?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK - completed the job.

If anyone else is ever interested in doing this, it's a straightforward, if long operation and you do need a decent socket set to give you options on reaching some of the bolts.

The relevant pages in the VW manuals are:
    https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...recirculation/
    https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...assat_touran)/
    https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...assat_touran)/

Loosen the particulate filter at the start (detach clamp to turbo, remove top bolt and the top bottom nuts.)
    Remove the air intake and pulsation damper off the turbo and the connecting pipes - basically clear stuff out of the way on the RHS of the turbo - this is purely to get at the bolts for one of the exhaust gas recirculation pipe ends. Remove the other 3 ends from underneath the vehicle.
    Remove the turbo oil feed pipe. (2 bolts at top, 1 supporting bolt, 2 banjo bolts at the base)
    Remove the EGR valve coolant circulation pipes - easiest to drain coolant from the bottom hose (rather than clamp off the pipes) and then remove the pipes one connection away from the EGR unit as the access is better - they're only short pipes so they make no different to getting the unit out.
    Pull off the vacuum line and the electrical connection and undo the 4 bolts holding the EGR unit in place - they're only 9 Nm torque so shouldn't need a hefty wrench - the two behind the particulate filter are a pain to get at!
    The EGR should then be removable down the channel next to the exhaust pipe underneath the vehicle.

Reverse for replacement.

Top up the oil and refill the coolant - you'll need about 2.5-3 Litres

I can kind of see why my local garage suggested removing the RH driveshaft, but it really isn't necessary.