Thread: B6 TDI 140 dsg not starting first time, and loads of other problems!

Post Thanks / Like

B6 TDI 140 dsg not starting first time, and loads of other problems!

Hi all,
    I've just introduced myself on the new members section and am the unhappy owner of a 2007 Passat B6 Estate 2.0 TDI, DSG.

Little back story, the car has 80,000 miles on the clock, was serviced 200 miles before I purchased it and is pretty spotless. The previous owner (a close family friend and my old boss) had no intention of servicing it then selling it, but unfortunately he passed away very suddenly just a couple of weeks later.

I paid pretty much market value for it as I'm not one to rip someone off in their hour of need, plus with it having a decent mileage it was more suited to my 75 mile daily commute than my 144000 mile Saab 93 TTid.

But the problems have been never ending!

The main one is thus:
    It refuses to start first time from cold. If you push the key in it will try to start but just crank over. But If you crank it for a second, stop, then crank it again it will start perfectly!
    Sometimes the engine will Appear to stall as though the timing is out, but other times it won't.
    Sometimes the glow plug light will flash and then when it does start the cruise doesn't work, it's replaced with a !.
    Also, when starting from warm, sometimes it will start perfectly normally, other times it starts with a thud, as though the engines rocking on its mounts.
    Once running, it's brilliant. Smooth (when not in reverse), averages 60+mpg on the commute and quick enough.

So, for me that's the main problem I have, but just as a footnote I have the following issues as well:
    Reverse seems as though it's not engaging properly. It will shoot back or not move. Theres no consistency there. Gearbox oil was not replaced at the service, so that'll be a 200 bill!!
    Alarm keeps going off, even though the siren is broken. I can't disable it that I'm aware of? (I turn the sensors off at the b_pillar)
    Airbag light is on, but I think this was me disconnecting the passenger airbag warning light when fitting the parrot hands free kit. Looks like it needs resetting.
    Handbrake occasionally brings up a warning telling me it's failed.
    High level brake light dead (40 ��)

I'm sure there's more, but I'm fed up just thinking about it. I am an ex car mechanic from 20+ years ago, so I'm pretty handy. But I haven't got vagcom and it appears everything on this car requires it.

Sorry to Witter on so long, but I'm skint and getting this car up to a good standard is really having an effect on my mental health. I'm just so disappointed. This was meant to be a step up for me!

Thanks for any help

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on experience with my 2.0 TDI 140 and DSG a couple of things occur to me.

1. Glow plugs - I had a glow plug fil at 70k miles and starting from cold first thing in the morning after standing out all night produced some unusual noises, but not every time. I had all 4 glow plugs replaced and it was then fine. I have a copy of VCDS which identified the duff glowplug.
    2.Having read a number of posts of the years about the DSG gearbox - the 6 spd version does seem to misbehave if the oil and filter aren't changed regularly. The service interval is 40K miles so your Passat should have just had its 2nd DSG service. My 2nd DSG service last year at a VW dealership cost 184. Few, if any independents will do a DSG oil and filter change.
    3. What state is the battery in. The engine won't start if the cranking speed is too low. Earlier this year the original 6 yr old battery in my Touran wasn't holding its full charge and eventually wouldn't crank the engine fast enough to start if I'd done a few starts to move the car around on the drive/in&out the garage etc without doing a run to top up the battery again.
    Unfortunately you do need to find someone with VCDS to get the scan results for your Passat.
    hope you get the car sorted.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for such an in depth reply mate. That's a good thought with the glow plugs.
    I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet with regards to the dsg service, but I can't afford that at the moment I'm afraid.
    Battery wise, I thought the same. I took it down to Halfords earlier today just to make sure as after the previous owner passed away it was left in his garage for a couple of months, no doubt with the alarm silently going off, and it had flattened itself. It was charged and seems to have been fine ever since. It is a Bosch battery fitted in march 2017 and it got the clean bill of health even under load, so that's covered that base.
    I plugged my cheap obd reader into it earlier and it showed no codes, not even the airbag light, so I guess that's not going to help. Without spending hundreds of pounds what would be the best reader to get?
    Looking through old invoices it appears he did complain of poor starting and their reader threw up P0321, crankshaft position sensor. Said they cleared the fault and customer to monitor. I think this could be a red herring if they wasn't using VAGCom, but I have no basis for believing that!!
    Thanks for your help
    Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Further thought on code readers....... to be absolutely sure you really need VCDS or VAGCOM, however on the Skoda forum a number of members have used the Carista app https://www.briskoda.net/forums/search/?q=carista I've not used it so can't advise either way, but nothing by taking a look at the various posts and seeing if you think it might help you. It may be worth searching this forum for Carista to see whether theres anything useful posted.

Back to the DSG in reverse, I have to admit to finding the DSG awkward to reverse at times, especially if its up a slope, for some reason it can be tricky to judge the point at which to apply throttle related to when the auto hold releases, so it either rolls forward, apply more throttle it shoots back too quickly apply footbrake and start all over again OR quickly move foot from brake to throttle, it doesn't move (brakes still on) apply more throttle and it then leaps back too quickly. Which makes me wonder if the handbrake faults are affecting the DSG in reverse.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    That isn't easy to diagnose on the web.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the first thing to do is have a full car scan code read done using up to date VCDS and then have the scan printed off then all the codes cleared. Then drive the car again for a few days WITHOUT unplugging anything whilst the ignition is on and then have another code read done so the two can be compared. The staring problem could be slow cranking speed or glow plugs but they should make the malfunction light come on. The parking brake issue could just be the so called “control head” which is VW’s odd name for the button on the dash and these are very easy to replace.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    For the starting issue, I'd initially be looking at the body to engine earth strap. Security/Corrosion, etc, before thinking about code readers.
    2010 Golf 1.4, Petrol, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately it is a 2007, likely to be a BKP and therefore subject to the oil pump drive problem silently wearing it's way along mile after mile.

That's a minimum 200 job DIY, more if paying someone to do it for you.

Great cars when fixed but definitely not for those on a tight budget, more for those with a labour of love type car relationship. Mine is one of those cars that falls into this category for sure BUT she's been fine for quite some time now and just needs normal maintenance at the moment and a 40k DSG oil and filter change at 225k which is in around 6 months time.