Thread: polo mk2 wih 3f swap , serous tech help please

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up polo mk2 wih 3f swap , serous tech help please

i have a mk2 polo with a 3f /gt engine swap , the engine has previously ran with a carb and was fine , so its related to the 3f bolt on stuff

its never ran right from day one ...basically see the video , notice it runs great with the blue sender undone , plug it in and its unhappy doesnt idle well at all , its repeatable idle goes good /bad everytime you unplug it , sounds slightly worse in person , very lumpy idle pops and chugs , watch the idle speed on the timing light

ive swapped pretty much everything with new /used parts and also swapped stuff on a mates 3f thats a runner

some stuff i can think off

loom swapped with rebuilt one, done properly with correct ends etc - confirmed blue sender signal reaching the ecu
    genuine blue sender
    dizzy- correct part number
    cap /arm /plugs/leads
    throttle body with tps
    3x ecu
    wiring has been reconfigured to run later digifant ecu relay as orig ones hard to find
    afm - also have one ive tried messing with and no help- richer weaker etc
    cam belt timing correct
    injectors sent away to be cleaned plus new genuine o rings
    ign timing doesnt make any change if i move it around- checked with blue sender off
    fuel pressure confirmed- correct 3f pump in use
    fuel pressure reg swapped
    o2 sensor disconnected doesnt change it

also mention its running the mk2 gti style coil and tci

no fault code on scanner

ive been messing with this for over a year , been into mk2 golfs 25 years + and simply cannot fix this one , any help /ideas please

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190421_140459.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	6862  

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you see the live data from the ECU in Measuring Blocks 08 Display zone 000?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    coolant temp ? reads correct

ive filmed it (warmed engine) going through the blocks , ign timing seems to jump around alot is that normal or not? nothing else jumps out as abnormal , tps responds smoothly

can you tell me any more about when the temp is pulled ? as in what happens /what sensors are ignored

edit - seems better /almost normal from cold , gets worse with engine heat if that gives any clues
    Last edited by steveo3002; 01-10-19 at 13:12.
    88 plate Polo 1.3, 3F

Post Thanks / Like
    Which ECU number are you using and is the dizzy NZ or 3F? Have you set the ignition timing in basic settings and knowing personally how difficult it is to see the marks without using a bell housing inductive pickup, how did you set it?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

5. Likes steveo3002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i used the crank marks and a timing light with adjustable advance , with the engine hot and blue temp sender pulled , read various methods some state rev 3x to 3000 others dont , tried both ways , also tried more and less advance that doesnt fix it

can you confirm how i should be doing it please?

yes correct 3f dizzy - also tried a spare and a 6n mpi one no change

ecu 030 906 022k - also tried 3 others that run on other cars
    88 plate Polo 1.3, 3F

Post Thanks / Like
    any further help crasher ? please
    88 plate Polo 1.3, 3F

Post Thanks / Like
    Off the top of my head without double checking (it has been a while!!) the 3F’s ignition timing should be set with the ECU in Basic Settings 001 using a diagnostic system.

Vile Invention

9. Likes steveo3002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you elaborate some more?

so blue temp sender off when engine warm , connect vcds and enter basic settings , then move the dizzy to show 5deg +/- 1 ?? at idle or revved?

thank you again
    88 plate Polo 1.3, 3F

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to look up the rpm figure at work BUT I think it is 2250 rpm and if I remember rightly you have to do the Rev over 3k three times bit first as well.... it is a LONG time since I set up a 3F!

Vile Invention

12. Thanks steveo3002 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    would be great if you can look it up ? or direct me to somewhere i can look it up myself

bit miffed how all the kids that do swaps manage to get these running fine if its so complicated , but happy to try anything

got someone kindly lending me another loom to try next week too

thank you
    88 plate Polo 1.3, 3F