Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front N/S SHOCK ABSORBER

Post Thanks / Like
    VW have issued a Technical Product Information to the dealers advising, no... TELLING them not to condemn dampers for minor misting around the damper piston rod as this is actually deemed beneficial as it aids in the lubrication of the seal. At the bottom of the TPI it warns that should a damper be replaced under warranty and sent back for inspection, the warranty will be refused and the dealer will have to pay for all the costs.

As for corroded discs, well what do you expect when you expose cast iron to the elements? This is going to become a huge problem in the future with the use of regenerative braking as the discs will not be heated up and cleaned regularly so they will rust solid and fail the MOT, this is already a known issue with the Nissan Leaf. I can see drum brakes doing a Vinyl type resurgence.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that ties in with my dealer's comments. I asked mine would be covered under my 5 year warranty, and they said they weren't bad enough yet. But when I said I was considering an extended warranty, I was told that would cover them when they started leaking really badly and needed to be changed.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: Corroded discs...

I've just seen that the new ID.3 has drum brakes, both to avoid the corrosion problems on under-used disc brakes and to save weight (See: https://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-i...-16365405.html)

So are disc brakes now a design fault??

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not been well so not been out for 11 days. The noise from the rear sounds like I am dragging a bag of nails along the road.
    No proper handbrake to "clean" rust from the disc so have to persevere.
    Service due in early March and MOT due in mid March.
    This will be interesting.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sam,

A quick recovery I hope, but are your MOT stations working again yet after they found the cracked ramps? I hope you don't have a backlog to clear first!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    Hi Sam,

A quick recovery I hope, but are your MOT stations working again yet after they found the cracked ramps? I hope you don't have a backlog to clear first!

Chris
    Hi Chris, just back from an appointment and the grinding racket has subsided as expected. I shall leave things for Mr Suit in VW as I know he won't dare lie to me regarding any work required.

The local monster MOT centre is working and to be fair I don't think there was ever the backlog predicted despite media speculation. (No we are not all actually going to die)
    Some other centres did slow down but worked 7 day weeks for a time. Online booking was still operating so I chose my time and date (strictly imposed!) and was told to turn up as normal. Drivers were strongly advised to book their date and if for whatever reason the test couldn't be carried out at the prearranged day / time an exemption certificate would be issued to cover the vehicle until it could be tested.
    There were many views on this plan as vehicles would effectively be illegal (no MOT) but I haven't heard of anything untoward - yet....
    I heard other rumours that this make of lift (not Tecalemit which I used) are widely used in the Republic as well as here in the UK and indeed on the Continent so perhaps all will need to be inspected.
    Keep well
    Sam.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    So are disc brakes now a design fault??
    More an application problem, the electric car future is going to be a disaster and I am quite annoyed that I will probably have shed my mortal coil by the time the **** hits the fan so I won’t be able to say “told you so” as I had been for 20+ years about the “diesel revolution”.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

8. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123