Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible vacuum issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Possible vacuum issue?

Hey guys, newbie here and first post (aside from my intro!). I own a 72 beetle, and have for about 5 months. While getting to know her and figuring out beetles, i had a sudden stop while driving where then, the engine would sputter and stall. i cleared the lines, fuel filter, and took it on myself to rebuild the carb. after much trial and error, i got her up and running again. since then, however. Ive had an issue with the engine stalling out after some time, or not starting on cold. through troubleshooting, on cold, it was lacking oxygen. after some time, its getting too much. adjusting the fuel mixture screw doesnt do much to help the balance. and while trying to adjust the idle screw, it bottoms out and does nothing. im at a loss, and am curious if anyone has had similar circumstances. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ApertureLab; 29-09-19 at 23:57.
    1972 Beetle 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you know its a vacuum problem have you done tests?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I havent done tests (dont know what tests i could do, honestly) and i only think it is, because of research ive done in the past. Different gorums and websites that list possible reasons for certain issues
    1972 Beetle 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know for sure it has a D code engine? If you could post a picture of the engine it would help as so many bugs have been bastardised.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    To be completley honest, im new to the whole VW universe and will admit that i know near nothing, just learning as i go a long. (P.s. this is an old photo. Tins have been sealed for openings and the fan heater opennings plugged) picture of the engine compartmwnt and the carb detailsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-30-22-14-26.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	6867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-30-22-19-41.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	6868
    1972 Beetle 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    God, where do I start JUST from a picture! A 31 PICT 4 is from a later 1300 twin port twin hot spot AF code engine but that is not a problem, better breathing. From what you say you are suffering carb/manifold icing and this will be due to two problems, one obvious the other not... That air cleaner is stupid and it would take hours to explain the “fuel standoff” issue but safe to say you need a proper air cleaner designed for a 31 PICT 4 which takes a paper element. This correct air cleaner should take a seasonally variable air intake from either the engine bay or an elbow from that big ole to the cars right of the crank pulley, again a complex subject. Next it is likely the pre heat tube below the inlet manifold is blocked and this will also cause intake system icing. With these problems cured you will then have poor running caused by the stupid 009 distributor with no interior heating and engine overheating caused by the two heater feed hoses either side of the engine being missing, a typical mess.... oh and the coil is upside down... and a dynamo fuel pump fitted to an alternator engine....... no other engine could run with such abuse!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

7. Thanks ApertureLab thanked for this post
    Likes ApertureLab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, sounds like i have a lot of work to do! so ill need a proper air filter for this distributor. I also need to check the preheat tube. (not sure where or what that is, but ill do my research). a better(?) distributor. Side question about that, is there a benefit to electric, or should i convert it back to points? i knew i should have flipped that coil. and i didnt even think about the fuel pump. i used to run a 93 jeep yj, it also took a beating. but im looking to treat this girl better. i really appreciate your points, even though i may have made you mad from a single picture! xD You may have some ease in knowing she doesnt drive far, when i got her. town and back which is a mile away. and the grocery store once a month, 7 miles out. hope i havent hurt her too much
    1972 Beetle 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    You need an air cleaner off a roughly 70 onwards car with the vacuum actuated air control flap, early ones were oil bath but later they used paper element filters in a plastic rather than steel body and these fit just about anything. Any second hand one is likely to have a faulty vacuum valve but these are obsolete although I have used later water cooled ones with issue and VW Classic have these, part number 113 129 828 A. You would also need vacuum pipe and fire proof hot air hose plus the missing tin ware seals. On top of this it is likely you need a new inlet manifold although the old IMDU https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Coo...r_12_Volt.html is still available AND it works.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/1978-12/1985, Model: VW Typ 1 (1200/1300/1302/1303), Engine Code: D, 25Kw, 34PS, 1.2 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Type 1, Air Cooled
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/1965-12/1977, Model: VW Typ 1 Ghia/Kleinliefer WG. 147 (1200/1300/1302/1303), Engine Code: D, 25Kw, 34PS, 1.2 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Type 1, Air Cooled

That picture shows the heater opening not used, don't you need the heater?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post

That picture shows the heater opening not used, don't you need the heater?

It wasnt installed when i bought it. its missing quite a few parts for me to hook it up again, even the levers next to the hand brake!
    1972 Beetle 1.2, Petrol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast