Thread: P0405 investigation

Post Thanks / Like

P0405 investigation

2011 Polo TDI , CFWA

The cars going in for a thorough diagnoses on Friday this week. Hopefully, a faulty sensor but worst case, the EGR is clogged.

I've noticed opinion in general that the EGR on this engine is a poor design and not worth cleaning out so if its a replacement EGR, the Pierburg brand one is about 230.

I read somewhere that Pierburg supply VW.
    2003 Bora 1.9 TDI-PD, ATD
    2011 Polo 1.2 TDI-CR CFWA

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG Error Code: 16789/001029/4900
    EOBD II Error Code: P0405

Fault Location:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Position Sensor 1 - Low Input/Signal too Low/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Engine hesitation.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s) short to earth.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve position sensor 1 sticking closed or not opening.
    Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Clean/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for info.

I only have a basic code reader so its in tomorrow for in depth investigation. Hopefully, not an EGR clean/replace job.

Post Thanks / Like
    A genuine VW. exchange unit is 312.64 with a two year parts and labour warranty no matter who fits it... properly!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    A genuine VW. exchange unit is 312.64 with a two year parts and labour warranty no matter who fits it... properly!
    Let me play devil's advocate!

I got the same quote from my local VW. If its an exchange unit, that suggests the one you purchase has been reconditioned and the one you hand in is passed beck to the factory for reconditioning and resale.

With the Pierburg, I'd be getting a newly manufactured unit presumably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back from the garage.

The diagnoses is that the EGR is not working so definitely has to come off the car. I was told part of the turbo has to be removed which means new seals for that as well and its lot of work for a driveway job.

I think its going to be a garage job.

This fella reckons the EGR can be removed from the n/s engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is done from under the car, unusually (but more commonly) from VAG this is an exchange unit BUT it still carries a two year parts and labour warranty.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: