Thread: Passat DSG gearbox

Post Thanks / Like

Passat DSG gearbox

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the DSG gearbox, after driving with it for 6 months I'm unsure if i have a fault or if its just my driving.

My car is the 2015 Passat 2.0 TDI 190PS 6 speed DSG, its covered 95k miles and has full VW history from new and I've recently had the gearbox oil changed at VW also.

The issues I'm having are:

Whilst driving in a 30mph zone on a slight incline the car will change from 3rd to 4th then instantly back down to 3rs then up to 4th again

Sometimes I think it's a little jerky

When moving off it seems to lerk forwards a little

It just generally seems sloppy now and again changing down to 3rd when doing 50mph when going downhill, always trying to be in highest gear as possible. I've never driven one before so don't know what to expect, anyone have any words of wizdom? No grinding no noises car selects gear fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    DSG oil should be changed every 40K miles, do you know if the DSG oil was changed at 40k and 80k miles? The DSG box has so-called fuzzy logic and is supposed to adapt to your driving style, so if others drive the car it has to keep re-adapting. I think there may be some truth in this but its hard to be really sure. So that's one thing that might affect its operation. I've not experienced the DSG boxes in either of our cars hunting between the gears, but if the road conditions and speed are just on that critical point that could happen. Have you tried using Sport mode to see if the same issues occur, sport mode causes the DSG to hold on to the lower gears longer, I often use Sport mode when there are lots of urban roundabouts and situations where you pull away ease off and then pull away again, it stops the DSG from changing up and then having to immediately change down again.

The DSG box senses the pressure applied to the footbrake, as you release pressure on the footbrake the DSG engages the clutches. I have identified 3 pressure positions: max pressure clutches disengaged stop start (if fitted) activated and engine stops, pressure reduced slightly stop/start deactivated (engine starts), pressure reduced again clutches engaged (revs drop slightly) foot brake pedal gradually fully released clutches engaged fully and car moves off, apply accelerator.

It can happen at some junctions there is a need to quickly pull out into the traffic flow, if the footbrake is realised and accelerator pressed there can be a bit of **** or lurch as the DSG will change down to first, as it normally tries to pull away in 2nd. If you look at the DSG gear display in the MFD it normally says D2 when pulling away from stationary.

The 6 speed DSG is reckoned to be bullet proof provided its oil and filter are changed at the specified intervals. Did you notice these issues before or after the oil was changed?
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Touranasaurus View Post
    DSG oil should be changed every 40K miles, do you know if the DSG oil was changed at 40k and 80k miles? The DSG box has so-called fuzzy logic and is supposed to adapt to your driving style, so if others drive the car it has to keep re-adapting. I think there may be some truth in this but its hard to be really sure. So that's one thing that might affect its operation. I've not experienced the DSG boxes in either of our cars hunting between the gears, but if the road conditions and speed are just on that critical point that could happen. Have you tried using Sport mode to see if the same issues occur, sport mode causes the DSG to hold on to the lower gears longer, I often use Sport mode when there are lots of urban roundabouts and situations where you pull away ease off and then pull away again, it stops the DSG from changing up and then having to immediately change down again.

The DSG box senses the pressure applied to the footbrake, as you release pressure on the footbrake the DSG engages the clutches. I have identified 3 pressure positions: max pressure clutches disengaged stop start (if fitted) activated and engine stops, pressure reduced slightly stop/start deactivated (engine starts), pressure reduced again clutches engaged (revs drop slightly) foot brake pedal gradually fully released clutches engaged fully and car moves off, apply accelerator.

It can happen at some junctions there is a need to quickly pull out into the traffic flow, if the footbrake is realised and accelerator pressed there can be a bit of **** or lurch as the DSG will change down to first, as it normally tries to pull away in 2nd. If you look at the DSG gear display in the MFD it normally says D2 when pulling away from stationary.

The 6 speed DSG is reckoned to be bullet proof provided its oil and filter are changed at the specified intervals. Did you notice these issues before or after the oil was changed?
    Thanks for the reply.

I live in an urban area in the countryside, hills, bends bumpy roads are all over the place. The 3rd to 4th then instantly back down and up again normally happens only on two roads, both very slight incline and at around 28-30mph.... Dose not happen every time and seems fine in sports mode or at least alot better generally driving around my area in sport.

The gearbox oil was changed by me at 94k unfortuantly there's no evidence of it being changed before hand so I changed it twice to give it a flush, first change drove around for 25 miles then sent it to VW for a second. Its had full VW history and belonged to a company before hand so I think it's lived on the motorway, but no I don't think they changed it sadly.

I have noticed the lurching when pulling away hard from a roundabout so that makes sense.

Im hoping it's just a mix between my driving and the area I live in

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you may be right about the roads, in country lanes with bends and inclines I tend to use sport mode too especially if I've got passengers as it tends to be smoother or I use manual mode - my Touran DSG only has manual mode in D our Fabia 7 spd DSG has manual mode in D and S - much better.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Touranasaurus View Post
    I think you may be right about the roads, in country lanes with bends and inclines I tend to use sport mode too especially if I've got passengers as it tends to be smoother or I use manual mode - my Touran DSG only has manual mode in D our Fabia 7 spd DSG has manual mode in D and S - much better.
    I agree, with the wife and kids in it seems worse. I've noticed sport it stays in 3rd on the inclines rather than trying to change up to 4th makes it alot better. Maybe I'm just being paranoid lol