Thread: Tyre help appreciated here

Post Thanks / Like

Tyre help appreciated here

I've just bought my first VW a 2012 Transporter 2.0 TDI 140PS and have decided to keep the standard steel wheels and fit some AT tyres as I drive 50% on unmade roads (not serious off road stuff) and 50% tarmac. The way the bus looks is important to me and I like the look of an aggressive tread patterned tyre on steel wheels, like BF Goodrich or General Grabber. I'm going to stick to the standard wheel size 215-65-16 and would like to hear from T5 owners about the down side of running these sort of tyres on tarmac as I don't often see T5's with anything other than van tyres etc.. Part of me thinks it's a bit of a waste fitting these tyres to a non 4 x 4 but I'm sure there will be advantages too, off road especially. I'm hoping the sort of tyres I want can be got with a load rating of perhaps 100 or 101 although the bus will never be fully loaded, in fact the only extra weight is in the wheelchair lift fitted at the back end. I would like to hear from anyone running similar tyres, or anyone with other tyre suggestions. Thanks.

Edited in this bit. Just been offered some General Grabbers at a very good price but they are 235-70-16. The tyre shop guy assured me they would not rub on full lock but I have my doubts, he said he has fitted these in this size to several T5 owners with no reported problems. Anyone got experience with this size tyre on standard steelies ?
    Last edited by vbull; 08-10-19 at 12:12.
    2012 Transporter T5.1 2.0 TDI-CR 140PS, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone please let me know if G.Grabbers AT3 235/70/16 will rub on the above T5 ? I want to try and get these sorted this weekend if poss.

Post Thanks / Like
    No response on here so asked tyre fitters to get in both 225 and 235 G. Grabbers. Went yesterday and 235 were too big on the rear so went ahead and fitted 225 all round. Don't know if all T5's have the same suspension set up as my bus but if they do and your thinking of fitting 235-70-16, save yourself some grief..... The 225's fill the arches well and tried them out on muddy tracks and it was like a different vehicle completely, loads of grip. Certainly not a Range Rover on these tracks but what a difference a decent set of AT tyres has made.