Thread: Caddy 1.6TDI limp mode problem mechanic given up

Post Thanks / Like

Caddy 1.6TDI limp mode problem mechanic given up

Hi, MY 2012 Caddy 1.6 TDI has developed a fault, it started off with a very slight loss in power in 4th or 5th. I thought i was imagining it, then it slowly got worse and it seemed to be when i was coming off the accelerator slightly. Then on the motorway at about 70 it lost power, went into limp mode and the loss of traction control light came on. After turning the ignition off and on again it cleared and i drove to my mechanic. There were lots of fault codes, he cleared them all and took it for a run, the fault that came up said it was the turbo sensor. He checked everywhere for any air leaks and found none and so changed the sensor. The next day the fault happened again, this time i took it back and it said there was an intake air system leak P227900. He said that he could't find anything and that the sensor he put in was non OEM which may be the cause. He then ordered a genuine part but it would be a couple of days so I had the Van all weekend and had to use it. When driven from cold it sometimes drives ok, sometimes a tiny drop in power. Once it starts it gets much worse. I managed to drive 25 miles sitting in 4th at 65, it didn't like going into 5th at all. Then all of a sudden it hates everything and limp mode just keeps coming back.

Today the OEM part came in, he changed it and the problem was back immediately, worse than with the copy turbo sensor. So he took that out as it was completely undriveable, put the copy one in and told me it's probably the MAF sensor. I was going to order one but am losing faith in him. I had to go to work, so today when driving it sometimes it was ok, especially when cold. Then it got really bad on the way home. turning the ignition on and off wasn't doing anything, dropping it down to 4th was working, then that stopped, then i dropped it down to 3rd and it accelerated to 5k revs, into 4th same thing, into 5th, slight acceleration then loss of power. Then that all stopped working and i barely made it home. I had a read about MAF sensors and tried unplugging it, that didn't work at all. I know i shouldn't be driving it but i have to get to work, with all my tools!

Any ideas??????
    Last edited by caddyneedsawhack; 14-10-19 at 18:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

P227900 what di you scan it with as there are to many 00?

VAG Error Code: 18711/5646/7338/26372/008825
    EOBD II Error Code: P2279

Fault Location:
    Leak in Air Intake System - Intermittent

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Vacuum Leak.
    Intake Manifold Runner Position out of Specification.
    Faulty Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System or Heating Element (N79).

Possible Solutions:
    Check Intake System for Leaks.
    Check Intake Manifold Runner.
    Check Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System and or Heating Element if applicable.

Special Notes:
    When found in the North American Region (NAR) 2.0T (BPY) check RVUTB: 01-09-03 or 2018919 for updated Crankcase Breather Valve.
    If the breather valve is faulty, full engine vacuum is typically found when removing the oil cap at idle.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was the mechanics snap on solus edge. I took a photo of it, that is the code it gave.
    The problem seems to be permanent now even when cold, I’ve been reading quite a lot and think it might be due to sticking turbo vanes?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't trust that code read and you have stored an Air Mass Meter code now by running it unplugged so you need to start again with a read, print and clear, drive it to generate the fault and then re-read. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING with the ignition turned on.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, i have the same problem on my 2020 Polo 1,6 6R 1.6 TDI CAYB you found out the problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiassatre View Post
    Hey, i have the same problem on my 2020 Polo 1,6 6R 1.6 TDI CAYB you found out the problem?
    Start your own thread please, you will get a much better response as the 1.6 TDI used in the Caddy is slightly different.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    tobiassatre - First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 09/2009-05/2014, Model: Polo/Derby/Vento/Classic Polo/Classic, Engine Code: CAYB, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.6 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: India ("IND"): Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.