Thread: Non starter........

Post Thanks / Like

Non starter........

Hi all. I have a 2005 Passat 1.9 TDI and was driving to work last week and the engine spluttered for a few seconds before the engine died......RAC man diagnosed the fuel pump...I've had this replaced to no avail. She turns over but not cranking.
    I've been researching and read about lift pump problems, I've wired it direct off a spare battery and it pumps fuel no problem so I'm guessing the pump is fine, leads .e to think lack of power. I put the multi meter to the multi plug tonight and there is nothing, not even when I'm trying to crank her over.
    So, is there any other locations for relays or fuses other than under the steering wheel?? Where are the fuel relays, what's their numbers..??
    I noticed the passenger floor is wet, are there any fuel related wiring etc in the underside of the passenger footwell/a pillar base?? If so, could these have been damaged by water

Really appreciate any direction

Cheers
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Water in the passengers footwell is a constant problem on the Passat 3B but I can’t see it causing a staring problem but it will cause problems with the central convenience system which is for the windows, locks and alarm, the wiring can become very corroded especially the main power feed. After a fuel supply interruption it can take a very long time craning to purge the system of air, often the battery will go flat and so the VERY CAREFUL use of a starting spray is helpful but to start with a code read would be a good idea.....as would posting an introduction in the new members section or else Keith will get upset.

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crasher.
    Thanks for the message.
    So the electric windows etc are working fine and appear to be in order.
    I've put the code reader on and only one fault which was the engine temp sensor.
    After I applied power to the lift pump from a separate source, the pump worked fine and filled the appropriate lines/filter. After several cranks (think it flattened the battery and recharged) she did fire up and I thought it was sorted, but after approx 3-5mins she spluttered then stopped again.
    When I put the multi meter onto the lift pump multi plug, there is no power, even at cranking, the readout doesn't change?? I'd have though even a small burst of power would be needed???
    What is the relay and fuse related to the lift pump???

Thank you again
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    On the left A pillar there is a coupling station, you can just see it in the picture. The fuel pump power feed comes from the relay in the ECU water box down to the 6 pole blue plug as a green wire to point 3 and then out the other side as a much thicker green wire, why I don't know... This is the power wire to the pump at the back of the car.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: