Thread: Golf 8 Launched, on sale early 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Golf 8 Launched, on sale early 2020

Autocar have details of the launch info here:
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...e-on-sale-date

And Car Magazine here: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...lkswagen/golf/

Order books said to open in December with deliveries from early 2020.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Being replaced by a Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TSI in Race Blue, built on 21st October and currently en-route for Emden!

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit later than expected, but the order books are now open, and the prices and specs are at
    https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/l...-pricelist.pdf

Personally I wish they still had designers who understood ergonomics as the thought of having to delve into touchscreen menus while you're driving fills me with horror! It must be even less safe than using a mobile phone?

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Being replaced by a Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TSI in Race Blue, built on 21st October and currently en-route for Emden!

3. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This Mk 8 is the sixth Golf I've bought from new and the first one I've been disappointed with.Cost reduction has been the main development from the 7.5 I had previously. Electric folding of the door mirrors removed, internal storage bins removef, even the bonnet gas strut replaced with a bit of bent wire. The software is incomplete, destinations cannot be down loaded.
    The reply I received from VW says they are not going to fix it. They said: "The Golf 8 alongside the new 2020 Passat and Arteon (as well as all first generation MOD3 vehicles operating on the new We Connect rather than the previous Car-Net platform), do not support the feature to send destinations, routes or POIs to the infotainment unit from the app or portal."
    The only positive point is that the fuel consumption is much improved, 4 to 5 mpg better than my 7.5 with the same 150PS engine.
    I hope this information is useful to anyone considering a Golf 8.

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG Germany will be rolling out many software upgrades in the future, they have openly stated that the car has had to be launched with incomplete software due to massive development issues. Personally I think car technology needs to take a few steps back... it is getting daft. How can you expect the typical mechanic who changes brakes and suspension to be able to deal with these things when they get old? And we don’t get paid appropriately so labour costs will have to go up to attract those capable, away from comfortable desk jobs.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

6. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    How can you expect the typical mechanic who changes brakes and suspension to be able to deal with these things when they get old?
    By expecting them to attend (or these days do on-line) refresher courses to keep up to date.

That's until they get so long in the tooth that new developments become too much and they retire.

Which is exactly what happened to me in the electronics sector 25 years ago, when everything went from analogue to digital.

But I agree cars are becoming too clever for their own good.

One of the reasons I've bought a Golf 7.5, rather than a Mk8, is that dreaded touch screen!
    2020 Golf Facelift Match Edition 1.5 TSI EVO 150PS DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is the wages in our industry are too low to attract people with the talent to do these jobs, they can earn more money in other jobs that don’t leave you covered in crap and aching from head to foot at the end of each day. People already whinge at the prices garages charge and accuse us of “ripping them off”. To be honest I don’t think the typical automotive repair industry is clever enough, some of the problems I have to deal with these days take intense concentration, care and even though I say it myself, skill but I am being constantly pushed to my intellectual limit on a daily basis. On top of this the tooling we have to invest in these days is getting out of control, when you have to spend 1500 to buy a jig that allows the assembly of one type of Diesel engine cylinder head only covering a few years of production, it has gone too far.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

9. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Likes CJJE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    People already whinge at the prices garages charge and accuse us of “ripping them off”.
    Sixties, seventies and eighties, it was so long ago that it was another life but the sentiments remain.
    Do I miss it?
    No.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

11. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Likes Crasher liked this post