Thread: Golf V 1.4 FSI - P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" - Implausible Signal / LOW POWER

Post Thanks / Like

Golf V 1.4 FSI - P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" - Implausible Signal / LOW POWER

I have the following problem on a VW Golf V, 1.4 FSI, 2004.

When the engine is cold, it starts only at second or third attempt and outside is smelling gasoline. After the engine starts and car runs, after about 100 meters, the engine loses a lot of power, more than half, and keeps running like this. Only very rarely, maybe ~5% of time, when Im in second or third gear at about 2000 RPM the engine works at normal power but after about 3000 RMP the engine loose power again, but as I said those cases are happening very rarely. At IDLE, the car can rev to maximum RPM but on the road, I cannot pass 100 km/h.

At scanning, I have the error: P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" - Implausible Signal

What was changed: engine temperature sensor, tank fuel pump and fuel filter, high pressure fuel sensor.

What was replaced temporarily to test if fix the problem or not: spark plugs, intake manifold with all attached sensors, high pressure fuel pump.

After all this, the car still runs with very low power. Any ideas what should I check next?

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0 is this your VW Golf V, 1.4 FSI, 2004 or are you trying to fix someone else's?

VAG Error Code: 16575/000401/5653/5242
    EOBD II Error Code: P0191

Fault Location:
    Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) - Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Engine will not start.

High/Low Fuel Pressure implausible.
    Low Fuel Level or Fuel Tank empty.
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Fuel pressure sensor (G247) faulty.
    Vacuum leaks.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Fuel Tank Level.
    Check Fuel Pressure.
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check/Replace Fuel pressure sensor (G247).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Actual pressure > 20.6 MPa.

Special Notes:
    When found in VW Polo (9N) with 1.4l FSI (AXU), check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2009218 which describes a problem with the Fuel Pump (G6).

Description:
    The Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) is a diaphragm strain gauge device in which resistance changes with pressure. The electrical resistance of a strain gauge increases as pressure increases, and the resistance decreases as the pressure decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) corresponding to pressure.

Strain gauge type sensors are consider passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow.

Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor.

The Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) measures the pressure of the fuel near the fuel injectors. This signal is used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to adjust the fuel injector pulse width and meter fuel to each combustion cylinder.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is this, a BKG or BLN?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but I didn't knew that more details are needed about the car. The engine is BKG. My mechanic tried what I mentioned in the beginning but then recommended me to go with the car to an electrician because he suspects that the problem is electrical. I depend on my car to make the commute to work. Where I live, the electricians keep the cars in their shop long time (at least a week) which is really hard for me to do this. I'm a robotics engineer so I know some electronics and mechanics. I want to try to fix it myself before I leave it to an electrician.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/2003-07/2005, Model: Golf, Engine Code: BKG, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.4 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) Bosch Motronic MED 9.5.10

Is only fitted to the Golf.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2004-07/2006, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: BLN, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.4 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) Bosch Motronic MED 9.5.10

You don't say if its yours or your trying to fix someone else's.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the model:

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/2003-07/2005, Model: Golf, Engine Code: BKG, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.4 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) Bosch Motronic MED 9.5.10

The car is mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made log with VCDS (~1 sec. sample)

High fuel pressure (spec) [bar] / High fuel pressure (actual) [bar]

49,9 / 49,9 (car runs with normal power)
    49,9 / 49,9
    49,9 / 49,3
    49,9 / 49,3
    49,9 / 49,9
    49,9 / 41,2
    49,9 / 26,9
    49,9 / 31,4
    49,9 / 35,2
    49,9 / 38,4
    49,9 / 41,6
    49,9 / 48,6
    49,9 / 49,3
    49,9 / 49,3
    86,4 / 25,6 (from this moment, car looses his power)
    99,8 / 4,5
    99,8 / 4,5
    99,8 / 4,5
    99,8 / 4,5
    99,8 / 4,5

I didn't added low pressure fuel sensor since seems fine, ~5000 mbar for both spec / actual.

Can the car actually run with only 4.5 bar on high pressure fuel eaven with low power?
    Last edited by bogdan.vlad; 02-11-19 at 17:23.
    2004 Golf 1.4 FSI BKG

Post Thanks / Like
    If both pumps and the filter have been changed then it does not add up unless there is debris in the fuel tank
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    But the low pressure seems ok. I'm wondering, is the 4.5 bar in high pressure rail enough for the car to run? If not, then clearly the signal from high pressure sensor is not ok and could be some wiring or ecu problems since the sensor is new.