Thread: Fast Rear Brake Pad Wear

Post Thanks / Like

Fast Rear Brake Pad Wear

Morning all

I replaced my rear discs and pads 6 months ago and has done 17k miles since. They are Pagid pads and discs, but the pads are about 90% worn. Is this normal? I've had pads last way longer than this on rears?? The fronts were done nearly 2 years ago (roughly 36k miles), and by comparison they have about 75% wear on the pads (Mintex discs and pads), I would have thought the fronts would wear quicker?

Is there something wrong with my brakes, or are Pagid poo? The discs are in excellent condition, but the pads are almost shot. Going to need to replace them with something else i think.
    2013 Passat Sport 2.0 TDI-CR 140PS CFFB Stage 2 Mapped 192BHP

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an error code for rear brake pads.

VAG Error Code: 02596

Fault Location:
    Rear Brake Pads Worn - Lower Limit Exceeded/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Parking Brake Warning Light active/flashing.

Rear Brake Pads worn.
    Brake Pad Thickness not adapted after Brake Pad Replacement.

Possible Solutions:
    Replace Rear Brake Pads.
    Adapt Brake Pad Thickness.

Special Notes:
    When found in Audi A8/S8 (4E):: Parking Brake, adapt Brake Pad Thickness.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pagid are excellent, we don’t fit anything else. That sort of pad wear is very wrong, how did you wind back and reset the calipers?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Pagid are excellent, we donít fit anything else. That sort of pad wear is very wrong, how did you wind back and reset the calipers?
    Hi Crasher

I used Carista OBD to wind back the calipers, then had to rewind the pistons manually the rest of the way by hand. The pad carrier bracket was cleaned and the pads do not bind, and the caliper sliders were free-moving and not seized. New pads in, and used Carista OBD to reset the calipers.

They've been absolutely fine otherwise, no hot wheels to indicate any binding of the brakes. It was a Tyrespot tech that pointed them out to me when i was getting my tyres replaced last week, while the wheels were off he showed me, couldn't believe it himself when i told him they were done 6 months ago. If he hadn't have sad anything, i'd have been non-the-wiser. The discs are absolutely fine, no scoring or uneven wear, they look perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    You rotated the pistons back in using a traditional wind back tool?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    After the caliper open procedure was carried out via OBD, I used one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161032924705 to get the piston the rest of the way