Thread: 2006 Polo 1.4 Engine stalls in traffic despite dipped clutch

Post Thanks / Like

2006 Polo 1.4 Engine stalls in traffic despite dipped clutch

Hey everyone. New to the forum as I desperately need help or advice with my problem. I'm not mechanically minded in the slightest, so apologies if I use any laymen terms!

Car: 2006 Polo 1.4 Petrol Engine

Problem: This is very rare, but extremely annoying when it happens. It only happens in the rain strangely enough, apart from this morning when it was simply cold (ice on windscreen cold). Usually, when I dip my clutch, for rush hour traffic for example, my revs will drop to about 800 and stay there until I move. However, over the past 6 months or so, I've noticed that the revs will actually drop to 400/500 first then recover to 800. The big problem is that sometimes it drops further, and the engine will cut. This is despite the clutch being fully dipped. I then have to restart the engine, so not ideal!

This is not solely when in traffic, and can be for example when stopping at the top of a hill or approaching a roundabout, when I'm braking, then dip the clutch and the engine will cut. Very worrying!

To eliminate the obvious, I am not simply stalling the car. The clutch is definitely fully dipped.

My garage have tried: Re-setting the throttle body sensor, replaced spark plugs (as part of service), clean air-filters. There is no engine management warning. My mechanic has done everything for free so far as we aren't sure what the problem is, however on the last visit he did say the next step will be looking to replace parts but he admitted it will be trial and error and could become costly. When he has trial ran the car, he's experienced no problems annoyingly.

The car is of course old, and barely worth anything wise, but it works perfectly otherwise and I could do with it running for a while longer before replacing the car.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any more ideas? All thoughts and ideas welcomed, and if you need any more info please let me know!

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

That isn't easy to diagnose on a forum.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Post approved and moved to the correct section.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

That isn't easy to diagnose on a forum.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Post approved and moved to the correct section.
    Thanks for sorting my post out. Much appreciated!

My mechanic has scanned for error codes but said nothing came up. So we’re both at a bit of loss to be honest! I was hoping someone had come across something similar.
    2006 Polo 1.4, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TomIggy View Post
    My mechanic has scanned for error codes but said nothing came up. So we’re both at a bit of loss to be honest! I was hoping someone had come across something similar.
    Scanned with what an generic scanner or as suggested?

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.