Thread: Another (Different?) Intake Manifold Flap Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Another (Different?) Intake Manifold Flap Issue

Hi folks,

I've got a 2008 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI with the EML on at the moment. Using bluetooth OBD scanner and Carista app on my phone I was able to identify a fault with the Intake Manifold Flap (V157). Nothing unusal here but after trying for the last couple of weeks to get to the bottom of it I'm now out of ideas.

Initially I had a handful of faults because the F8 fuse was blown. Replaced with another 10 amp fuse and it blew immediately after turning on the ignition. Disconnected the IMF, stuck in another fuse and it didn't blow. Cleared the faults on the car and the only ones that remained where for the IMF. Just for good measure I reconnected the IMF and it blew the fuse again. I'm thinking "Bingo! I've definitely got a problem with the IMF."

Took the IMF off and found it was pretty dirty so spent some time cleaning it up. Despite being dirty it still moved easily by hand though. Refitted and reconnected the IMF, blew another 10A fuse.

Removed the IMF again and popped the cover off to find it was absolutely full of oil. Tried draining it and cleaning it up as best I could but blew yet another fuse after reconnecting it (glad I have a ton of 10A fuses!)

The connector for the IMF looks pretty much immaculate so after spending ages reading through forum posts (many of them on here) and watching YouTube videos I decided to replace the IMF. This is where it starts to get irritating...

New IMF arrived, fitted it to the car, connected it up and turned the key. No blown fuse, heard the flap moving and thought "Happy days! We're in business!" Unfortunately though the car struggled to start and on the occasions that it did start, it died again almost immediately. Disconnected the IMF and tried starting the car again - this time it ran perfectly.

After checking to make sure I hadn't done anything daft I figured the flap must be closing when it's not supposed to and killing the engine (admittedly quite smoothly most of the time compared to the rough shutdown I was getting before it was replaced.)

I decided the IMF might be faulty, returned it and got another one in the hope that I'd just been unlucky. After fitting the 2nd replacement to the car I'm now experiencing almost exactly the same thing - the only difference being that with this IMF when I keep the revs up the engine doesn't usually die completely, it just dips a bit and then revs back up again repeatedly.

Currently seeing 2x faults with the OBD and Carista when IMF is connected...

P2100: Throttle Actuator "A" Control Motor Circuit/Open
    P3101: Motor for Intake Manifol Flap (V157), Open / Short to Ground

I've also taken a video of what happens with and without the IMF connected:

My current thinking is there could be an issue with the wiring between the ECU and the IMF or that the ECU itself could be faulty - both things that I'm not sure I'm prepared to tackle on my own.

Does anyone know if I might be missing something / if there's anything else I could try? At this point I'd appreciate just about any suggestions!

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you private message me your REG number, I got caught out by this on a 2L CRTDI engine a couple of years ago because after 20 odd years of us getting used to the flap before the EGR valve being the V157, the idiots at VAG had decided to switch the designation of what is the V157, now it is the electric motor on the inlet manifold itself and the cure is a new manifold kit which deletes the system altogether. Now I am aware of it I know what o look for.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies!

Keith: my apologies, I've since posted an introduction.

Crasher: I've PM'd you with my reg.

Spoke to a few other people in between times and they suggested that I might need to run some calibration with the new part fitted? Unfortunately I don't have any way of doing that at the moment (as it requires VCDS) but I found it believable given how everything is behaving.

I was given a link to this video explaining how to recalibrate:

Thanks again!
    Rob
    2008 Jetta 2.0 TDIPD

Post Thanks / Like
    The V157 does not need aligning, and yours being a PD TDI means it is plug and play. On your car the V157 is powered from fuse SB24, SB8 is the radio navigation.... SB8 was for earlier cars.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: