Thread: Check front right dipped beam

Post Thanks / Like

Check front right dipped beam

I have a 2013 Passat B7 BlueMotion1.6 TDI. As the title points out, this is the error that has been popping out on the dash screen since 2 days and the front right (passenger side) light went out. I am from Finland. By the way, this car has the bi-xenon headlights. I thought it could be a burnt bulb. But when I was coming back form work yesterday night, all of a sudden the light started working again and the error went away. But today morning, 'hey what you know', the error is back and front right light not working again.

Could you guys tell what could be the issue; is it the bulb or something else? I hate german cars now, why? Previously in my Volvo, changing the bulb was as simple as drinking a glass of water. But this, some say I have to take the bumper out, some say I can just loosen the diesel filter and move it slightly to make room....

Please help and any help is highly appreciated and valued.

Thank you...
    2014 Passat B7 BlueMotion 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to get a code read done to see what the system has picked up the error as being. Also, ALL modern cars have difficult to change bulbs.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Thanks deepupkn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the colour of the light output has changed slightly, it's a bulb on its way out. If it's the same, it could be a faulty ballast, or both.

Code read will give you better information, hopefully just a bulb is all that is required.
    2013 Passat Sport 2.0 TDI-CR 140PS CFFB Stage 2 Mapped 192BHP

5. Thanks deepupkn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As said: You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

7. Thanks deepupkn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys.. I went an autoshop to get the code read and it said that the bulb was faulty. I don't know if they used a vag-com. It was an Ipad like thingy.

I have couple more questions:

1) Do I need to change both bi-xenons at the same time?

2) Do you know if it is D3S or other versions of bi-xenons?

Regards

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deepupkn View Post
    Thank you guys.. I went an autoshop to get the code read and it said that the bulb was faulty. I don't know if they used a vag-com. It was an Ipad like thingy.

I have couple more questions:

1) Do I need to change both bi-xenons at the same time?

2) Do you know if it is D3S or other versions of bi-xenons?

Regards

D
    Preferably change both at the same time, this will ensure the colour output of the bulbs will match. Don't be tempted with cheap ones on ebay. Eurocarparts can sometimes have OEM ones cheap using discount codes, although if you use carparts4less.co.uk, they'll be even cheaper with discount code and come from ECP warehouse
    2013 Passat Sport 2.0 TDI-CR 140PS CFFB Stage 2 Mapped 192BHP

10. Thanks deepupkn thanked for this post
    Likes deepupkn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI all,

Changed the xenon bulb, still nothing. There is moisture inside the headlight unit. I went to another garage and according to the mechanic there, they have to check whether the problem is with headlight unit /ballast and ignitor or something else. He says that if the problem is with both the ballast and ignitor, then I have to buy a new headlight unit costing around €800.

The mechanic will be doing the check up/testing next week to determine the cause. What are your views on this issue?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the auto level adjustment system maybe?
    2019 Golf GTiI Performance. 2.0 TSI 245 PS. Black pearlescent. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack.
    2018 Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95 PS​ Reflex Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikyBob View Post
    Check the auto level adjustment system maybe?
    Thank you SpikyBob. But where and how do I check that?

Post Thanks / Like
    The ballast, if it is faulty and it sounds like it is, is a replaceable part 8K0 941 597 B, it is still nearly 300 Euro but less than the unit but it could be the control unit so by the time you replace both, you have spent the cost of a new complete unit. Factory HID lights are daft, the illumination is not good enough and they cost daft money to replace. LED units that are becoming common are insane, 1630 for a Passat headlight! Are they having a laugh?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: