Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine rough on idle

Post Thanks / Like
    Which colour light, yellow or red? Are you getting a “STOP” message?

We have two cars in at the moment with this engine, a Scirocco and a Beetle, the Scirocco is going back together with new pistons, bearings, chain kit, full head rebuild, one new cam, 16 lifters and adjusters and a new cam carrier... £5k.... it had just been “rebuilt” before the poor chap that owns it bought it. This is what two of the four pistons looked like

The Beetle will be coming apart after the Scirocco has gone home as it has exactly the same problem, it has done less than 50k miles.

Basically the 1.4 TFSI twin charger engine, especially the CAVD code version for not limited to, is turning out to be a disaster. It may have one engine of the year three times when new but when old they are a hopeless piece of junk.

Seriously now, I would strongly advice people looking at buying a VAG car to completely avoid the 1.4 TFSI with engines such as the BLG, BMY, CAVD, CAVE, CAVF etc, they are ticking wallet bomb...
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

2. Likes billywhizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher I got a amber light. Topped up oil

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes those engines burn oil very heavily, often past the VAG warranty point of 1 litre per 620 miles. The pistons we use in the rebuilds are the redesigned OE Nüral brand plus we hone the bores to a 220 grit finish and run the engine up on Millers Competition Running in Oil which seems to do the trick of getting the oil rings to bite into the bores.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

5. Likes billywhizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They replaced the crankshaft seal and no charge. The car feels like new
    2011 Golf Match 1.4 TSI, Grey, 110000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12