Thread: Cabin Air Flow

Post Thanks / Like

Cabin Air Flow

Good afternoon, everyone.
    I am having a problem with the build up of moisture in the cabin of my 2003 Polo 1.2. The air conditioning has been checked and is in good order. The pollen filter slot has been cleaned and a new filter fitted and, I have also checked and cleaned out the external drains from the scuttle and windscreen base as far as I can. However, on cold or wet days (other than in summer), I have to remove excess moisture from the inside of the windscreen and other windows, this morning it was also frozen on the inside.
    I have looked for the external vents through which stale air is exhausted to see if they are blocked, but cannot locate them, even with the fan on maximum speed. What should I be looking for and where are they?
    I'd be grateful for some guidance!

Regards from a cold North Yorkshire
    2003 Polo 1.2S, 54PS, 5 door, Engine code AWY

Post Thanks / Like
    Early 9N’s are prone to water leaks in the boot from the light units so check for damp in the spare wheel well. My Octavia has a little water getting in the boot recently and I have been to busy to deal with it and consequently every morning it is heavily misted up and recently frozen inside so it does not take much. This afternoon Mrs Crashers was saying her 9N has been misty inside a lot recently but no trace of a leak. As you have AC, make a habit of running the heating on recirculation and with the AC on as this will draw in and dehumidify the air inside the car without introducing moisture from outside, that is if the recirculation flap works which is a common issue on the 9N.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon, Crasher, and thank you for your prompt response.
    I've had a look in the spare wheel well and it's dry, apart from some water in the centre of one of the plastic boot plugs. However, there is some dampness around the nearside rear lamp unit and I'll have a more detailed look at this during the week; I presume that a replacement seal would be available if necessary. Otherwise, I still need to locate the stale air exit vents at the rear of the car.
    Thanks again and regards

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the air vents leak on a Golf 6 the other week but this was due to a botched body repair where the gasket was damaged and not replaced, I can’t recall having it on a 9N, the water in the grommet should not be there, it is like my Octavia where the four grommets had water in them but the metal was dry and I assume it has escaped out of the drain hole these have. The two air vents are in the rear panel behind the bumper

and have been revised under part number 6X0 819 465 E, they cost 16.28 each

Annoyingly you cannot but the rear light seals, you have to buy the bulb holder 6Q6 945 257 A left and 6Q6 945 258 A right at 28.85 each
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon again and thanks for your most helpful reply, I'll check the grommet drain hole and the rear panel air vents in the morning.
    Kind regards