Thread: 67 things to look out for?

Post Thanks / Like

67 things to look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    67 was a special year with many specific one year only parts that can cause headaches.
    Oh.... Well that's a nice cheery start LOL

Anything in particular I need to look out for Crasher? If there is any particular post or website you could point me in the direction of that would be cool.

I'm a total realist, but I guess any classic bug is going to cost you money, is it sourcing of the parts the bit more likely to give headaches in respect to the 67?

Any pointers on things to look out forvery much appreciated,

Cheers

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    There are so many differences the 67 has become something of a cult, especially if you find a genuine 1500 which was the first with front disc brakes. The door handles, doors, rear panel/engine lid, front valence are unique so their condition is vital, first year 12v but looks 6v, bigger generator with regulator under the back seat for the first time, a lot of the electrics are unique 6v style but 12v, if I remember correctly the starter motor is unique... it is worth making it perfect as they are sought after. The US model had even more differences such as upright headlights and if I remember correctly, front drums.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Thanks Tricky_Luck thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Crusher, I mentioned to the guy I bought it from about someone mentioning 67 being a headache. The guy was completely straight up and listed everything you mentioned including wing mirrors on the hinges and even.down to telling me that some of the screws weren't the correct ones! It also has colour coded towel rails which he also said weren't standard but I think they look amazing.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found the guy who is straight up as you could get and the car I have has been well cared for and I now know everything that isn't quite so.

The car has matching numbers and it makes me happy, regardless of not being perfection when it comes to the 67.

Maybe, one day I'll source the parts, but for now, I'm a happy man

Cheers

Rich
    1967 Beetle 1200

5. Likes Crasher liked this post