Thread: New Ball Joints and Shock absorbers B7 DSG Auto Exec Estate 130bhp 2.0TDI Diesel.

Post Thanks / Like

New Ball Joints and Shock absorbers B7 DSG Auto Exec Estate 130bhp 2.0TDI Diesel.

My 2014 Passat B7 2.0 TDI DSG Auto Taxi has done 188k miles and runswell . I do not intend to change it , but when should I consider changing the Shock Absorbers on this Model to improve customer comfort and ride?
    2014 Passat B7 EXEC Estate 2.0 TDI-CR DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Even the best damper it past its best at 50k. There are a number of different dampers used, you need to establish EXACTLY what is on the car and then, if buying non genuine, transfer this to an aftermarket part number, preferably Boge or Sachs, possibly Monroe.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Even the best damper it past its best at 50k. There are a number of different dampers used, you need to establish EXACTLY what is on the car and then, if buying non genuine, transfer this to an aftermarket part number, preferably Boge or Sachs, possibly Monroe.

Thanks Crasher most appreciated. Taximan
    2014 Passat B7 EXEC Estate 2.0 TDI-CR DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Even the best damper it past its best at 50k
    OK everything is past its best when not brand new, but how can you tell when it really needs replacing? So assuming there are no visible oil leaks on shock absorbers, is there a good way to tell they are not working properly? I assume the car will get more bouncy on uneven roads, but unless the shock absorbers are really bad, it's a bit hard to tell
    2015 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR CRBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Without using a suspension Dyno and comparing figures achieve to known values, almost impossible. It is safe to say at double that, 100k, replacement would be noticeable BUT the choice of new parts critical.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks for the info Crasher. My car has done almost 80K, so I'm keeping an eye on it. Not sure what you mean about "the choice of new parts", I assume OEM parts are always preferable?
    2015 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR CRBC

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a huge range of factory springs and dampers which are tied into the cars so called “Pr codes” which specify the versions used. Aftermarket parts often bundle many variations into one or two numbers coving soft>hard and high>low and so there could be 25 or 30 factory variations covered by two aftermarket parts so they are unlikely to be perfect. The correct way is to establish the VAG part numbers of the parts fitted and then cross reference these over to respected makes such as Sachs/Boge for dampers and Suplex for springs as these companies are OE suppliers and usually offer the exact parts, the trick is finding the numbers, application lists in catalogs are not ideal.