Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polo 1.2 CGP misfire

Post Thanks / Like

Polo 1.2 CGP misfire

Hi Hoping some one can help me i have a mk5 Polo 1.2 CGP engine code that has developed a misfire after driving 4 or 5 miles or when engine heats up . The epc light & anti skid light comes on and than starts to misfire some times the engine management light comes on with the code P0301. i have the head recon done with new valves ,valve guides,and valve oil seals plus new timing chain, head gasket and full service but this fault is still in it . Plus something i have noticed that its heavier on oil but not sure if that has anything to do with it . Any help would be much appreciated
    Year???? Polo 1.2 CGPB

Post Thanks / Like
    Usual response is to advise using VAG or VCDS diagnostic tool to extract all fault codes - some generic readers are not good enough.
    Did you have head reconditioned because P0301 - misfire cylinder 1 error - reported?
    If so, what checks, i.e. compression, coil pack, plugs etc., were performed before changing head?
    I understand that valve problems are quite common on this engine and the usual advice is to fit a VW replacement.

Regards
    Brian.
    2013 Polo 6R Match Edition 1.2, CGPB, Petrol

3. Likes Crasher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

The sub forum titles are misleading, we don't know the year of your Polo 1.2 CGP or the full engine code as CGP can mean:

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2012-05/2014, Model: Polo BlueMotion, Engine Code: CGPA, 51Kw, 69PS, 1.2 Ltr, 3 Cyls, Remarks: SRE
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 03/2009-05/2014, Model: Polo/Derby/Vento/Classic Polo/Classic, Engine Code: CGPB, 44Kw, 60PS, 1.2 Ltr, 3 Cyls, Remarks: India ("IND")

VAG Error Code: 16685/15125/10591/4054/000769
    EOBD II Error Code: P0301

Fault Location:
    Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Lack/loss of power.
    Hard start.
    Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Ignition system.
    Fuel injectors.
    Fuel pressure.
    Running out of fuel.
    EVAP canister purge valve.
    Evaporative emission system.
    Low compression.
    Base engine problems.
    Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Do a compression test.
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

Special Notes:
    This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
    The P0301 code means that the cylinder 1 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 1. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:
    When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor [G28]/Crankshaft Position Sensor [G28] signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

5. Thanks Brian7NS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would start with a compression check.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

7. Likes Brian7NS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brian thank you for getting back to me it was that the timing chain failed that is why i got the head reconed .Also replaced 3 new coils new spark plugs
    Year???? Polo 1.2 CGPB

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately sounds like you have to start from square 1 checking cylinder #1 (P0301) (P0302 = cylinder 2, P0303 = cylinder 3).
    Might be worth checking valve timing.

Regards
    Brian.
    2013 Polo 6R Match Edition 1.2, CGPB, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brian the strange thing with this polo is when the misfire appears i pull over turn it off than start it again and its ok for the next 4-5 miles i would thing if it was Valve timing would it not be in it all the time. the engine management light does not always light up just the epc & skid light
    Year???? Polo 1.2 CGPB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mate if it was low compression would it not be in it all the time as when it happens i pull over switch it off and restart and its ok for the next 4-5 miles its just doing my head in
    Year???? Polo 1.2 CGPB

Post Thanks / Like
    The compression should be there all the time. But it won't hurt to check them.

That error code could mean the ignition coil.

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The resetting of the program when you switch off is classic poor compression, the ECU can see there is an emissions issue and a crank angle firing speed miss match, using this it can work out which cylinder is at fault and then turn off that injector. The easy way to prove this if you have a code reader is to clear the code with the engine running, if the misfire clears you know it is the ECU turning off the injector and this means you hardly need to do a compression and it is off with its head... again. This diagnostic feature of EU4 emissions has caused many an injector to be replaced unnecessarily by those who do not know how the system works.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

14. Thanks Brian7NS thanked for this post
    Likes Brian7NS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast