Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk5 - starting issue

Post Thanks / Like

Mk5 - starting issue

Greetings everyone!

I'm experiencing a problem with my 2005 Golf 2.0 SDI, Occasionally on cold mornings, car starts with great difficulty e.g takes about 3-5s to start up. I've scanned the car with VCDS, no codes under Engine block found. Fuel filter is new, can hear the fuel pump prime every single time when I turn the key for about 2s. Battery voltage sits at 12.65V. Injector harness checked recently, all snug. Injector values all within spec in group 013. Tandem pump changed about 20k ago.
    I assume if it was an electrical issue...ECM would throw a code, right?
    I suspect a bad starter and I'd like to test it via VCDS but before I do that, I'd like to check the procedure Crasher posted a while ago in some other thread to make sure I'm on track

"Disconnect the injector harness from the head and with a diagnostic system showing the engine rpm, crank it over and see if the speed is over 280 rpm"

By that you mean block 001 in Engine control module 01?

Best regards
    2005 Golf mk5 2.0 SDI, BDK

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad starting check the glow plugs.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!

Glow plugs were replaced not 1.year ago and they are ok, checked them with the multimeter. Coolant sensor swapped as well with OEM part. As I mentioned....no DTC reading with VCDS.
    2005 Golf mk5 2.0 SDI, BDK

Post Thanks / Like
    As a quick fix for starting problems you can unplug the coolant temperature sensor that will aid starting as the ecu will use the default setting.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

5. Thanks golf97 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, disable the engine by disconnecting the injector harness and then use a suitable diagnostic system that shows measuring blocks to view the rpm. As you start cranking the ECU will lose comms with the diagnostic system for a moment and will take a few seconds to reconnect and during this time you just keep cranking so if anything is weak, it will show up. Unless the engine speed hits 280rpm, starting will be poor.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

7. Thanks golf97 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I disconnected the wiring harness for injectors, cranked up the car and.....battery voltage drops to 8 V, starter stops spinning 😠. 4 year old battery, and it's been causing problems since new. I'll report when I install new one during the week. Is 72 Ah a useful upgrade to the current 60 Ah? Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golf97 View Post
    I disconnected the wiring harness for injectors, cranked up the car and.....battery voltage drops to 8 V, starter stops spinning ��. 4 year old battery, and it's been causing problems since new. I'll report when I install new one during the week. Is 72 Ah a useful upgrade to the current 60 Ah? Thanks a lot.
    When cranking the battery voltage shouldn't drop to much, on a petrol engine shouldn't drop below 9.6v, diesel engine shouldn't drop blow 10v.

Get you battery checked out under a load test?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

It seems it was a battery issue. Since I replaced the battery with 77Ah one, the car starts without problems (judder) every time. Hopefully the problem is solved. I do have 1 more question for Crasher/Keithuk. Is it normal that glow plug light goes off immediately after you turn on the key. Car started fine in the morning at -10C, so glow plugs must be working as they should. I'm just puzzled why indicator light stays on for just about a second or 2. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The glow plug light should come on when you turn the key and go out within a second or so of starting the engine, some even before it starts, it is not so much a glow plug warning light as a management system check light. Over the last few years I have been bemused how worn batteries seem to throw people, when I were a lad my Grannie who nothing about cars and had never driven could diagnose a flat battery. Unfortunately modern permanent magnet starters, powerful charging systems and long lasting batteries seem to have made people complacent to them as a wearing part, even at 10 years old; and seemingly unwilling to replace them. In the 70's with a new car you would be lucky if the original battery lasted two years and the new car warranty was a strict one year. This does not bode well for the future when an electric car still has a conventional 12v battery costing the same as today but also another one under the floor costing thousands and a long extremely dangerous job to replace.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree with you about the e-future that politics/media is pushing so hard nowadays. I work in mechatronics and above all else no one understands how they're planning on charging EV via photovoltaics, because apparently nuclear technology is not safe and coal is out of question for obvious reasons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast