Thread: Not starting

Post Thanks / Like

Not starting

Hi everyone, new to this site so trying to pick your brains as I stuck!
    Had my old cortina in bits on more occasions then I care to remember only needed a spark, fuel and some compression and you were away.... but long long time ago now.. Anyway, bought my grandson a little polo 1.2l 3 pot car for Christmas. Bodywork and interior is spotless. 73,000 miles. Went to pick it up but would not start, assumed it just a battery problem as it had been standing for six weeks. New battery, new cam sensor, new crank sensor. Had a diagnostic test says low voltage on cam sensor. Opinion is the timing chain, a problem which seems to be an issue on these engines. I have done a compression test this evening with these results cylinders 1 & 2 reading 9 and cylinder 3 reading 12. Does anyone know if these are acceptable or do I need the head off and fit new valves? Or should I just fit the timing chain kit I have just bought reassemble it all and see if it starts? Your vast knowledge of these things would be very much appreciated. As you can understand I am now under a lot of pressure from my 17 year old grandson to get it running. Tbh I had already passed my test and had my trusty Ford by this point in his life so totally understand where he coming from he just wants to pass his test and drive off into the sunset..... don’t think he realises he has to buy petrol and insurance. Promise I will let you know what the problem was when I fix it reading posts on here people never seem to let you know the outcome! Looking forward to your constructive advice.... already had the other type of advice from her in doors!!!!! Seems every time she used to come up for the evening back in the day she used to come around the corner just to see the back of me with my head under the bonnet and my hands covered in oil and grease... Happy days!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

2002 Polo 1.2

How long is a piece of string?

What do those compression test figures mean?

cylinders 1 & 2, 9
    cylinder 3, 12

Psi, Bar, Kilo Pascal's.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those engines are a disaster, you need to do a head rebuild with new exhaust valve guides and timing chain set.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)