Thread: Resistor ratings to spoof canbus of incandescent bulb existence.

Post Thanks / Like

Resistor ratings to spoof canbus of incandescent bulb existence.

Since our cars (mine is 2011 2.0 TDI Passat 362 140ps) don't need a massive load to trigger bimetal flasher units, just how much resistance is needed to get rid of the canbus bulb errors?

In days of old, a 21 watt bulb Led replacement needed notionally a hot hot hot 6.85 ohm resistor to pull 21w, however the canbus must need a load less ( pun intended) to kill the warnings if the size of the LED circuit boards is to be justified.

I had thought about testing the concept with a selection of resistors in place of a sidelight 5w or an indicator21w or a high/low brakelight 21w bulb BUT if someone has checked to see if only xx milliamps needs to be pulled down I have saved me a job.

I have a box of non canbus LEDs from years ago and would like to re-engineer them for the 21st century! None of them draw more than a tiny fraction of a watt i.e. enough.
    2011 Passat 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    How about recoding the BCM to turn off the “hot bulb monitoring”... remember frying the BCM is easy and will cost around 550 to put right.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point that.... Will check VCS