Thread: Tiguain Considerations

Post Thanks / Like

Tiguain Considerations

I'm looking to buy a Tiguan as currently have an Audi A4 04 plate with 236k on the clock and teenage children with a little more leg room requirements.

Firstly can't find many comparisons because of the age difference but assume the Tiguan will have a little more leg room but intend looking at one shortly anyway.

I've seen a 15 plate which has the DSG autobox with 4Motion but not sure whether they are more trouble or attract a little more maintenance cost? And if the 4 motion detracts from the economy? Can it be shifted between 2wd and 4wd or is it just an intelligence sensor? Do you need to be mindful of replacing four tyres at same time for example?

My A4 is great on fuel so not sure whether to look for a manual gearbox. It seems to have a few toys on it so am tempted. Anything else to be wary of? 80k on clock but garage says belt not been done but this model doesn't require water pump to be done at same time.....ITS a 15plate

Thanks in advance
    VW Sharan 2001 Manual TDI 115 Engine AUY

Post Thanks / Like
    Be wary if it is a diesel if where you are going to use it over the next few years is going to bring in a non EU6 diesel ban as it may not be EU6.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crasher, not heard about that, is that the majority of diesel Tiguan of that age? As I do quite a few miles was wary of looking at any of the petrols.

Saying that Bristol where I work is proposing a diesel ban in the city centre

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want more legroom and space then the Touran is bigger inside, has a more flexible interior; rear seats slide, recline and can be individually removed. Touran driving position is virtually identical to Tiguan, I think that, compared to Mk 1 Touran (pre 2015) the Tiguan radio/infortainment position is positioned better for sat nav use. Touran is not an SUV or a cross-over so overlooked by many people.

If its a 2.0 TDI then the cambelt is every 5 years (check again about the water pump), Haldex (selective 4wd rear diff) requires oil change every 40k. DSG if its a 7 spd dry clutch it doesn't require any maintenance, if its a 6 spd its a wet clutch and requires an oil change every 40k miles. At 80k if this Tiguan has a 6 spd wet clutch DSG then it should have had 2 oil changes, if it hasn't had any then think carefully as the operation of the DSG is eventually affected and repairs can be expensive. I think you will find that the Tiguan 4 motion tyres have to have similar tread depth, so your question about tyre replacement is relevant. Tiguan wheels and tyres are bigger than Touran so cost more.

I have a 2.0 TDI DSG Touran and my brother has a 2.0L TDI Yeti manual 4wd. The Touran is more economical than the Yeti, by about 5 mpg generally and 10mpg on a long run at motorway speeds. I think the Tiguan economy would be similar to the Yeti perhaps a little worse as Yeti is probably lighter.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Bristol is on your map then you MUST ensure the car you buy is EU6.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the very detailed post. I suppose I have shyed away from the Touran for no other reason than I had a number of people carriers when the kids were younger and then migrated back to saloons etc.

Given my locality in Bristol tho perhaps a Diesel isn't the answer unless I want to hinder where I can use it. Have also looked at the Petrol Karoqs but price bracket inches up then

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will find that the late 2015 Tiguan and Touran diesels are EU6 and use Ad Blue, which means they won't be affected by city centre bans/penalty charges. Realistically how long will it take a large city like Bristol to actually implement the infrastructure (Cameras, pay points etc) to make a penalty charge system for diesels practical? Also think of the number of Merc Sprinter and Ford Transits used by all the parcel delivery companies they are EU6 now that operate in city centres.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.