Thread: Golf Alloy MK5

Post Thanks / Like

Golf Alloy MK5

Good Evening guys and girls,

Hope everyone is well and enjoyed their Christmas and New Years!

I am just enquiring about some alloys for my MK5 Golf. I have a 1.4 FSI 07 golf which I had recently purchased as my first car. It has disappointedly come with steelys (hub caps.) I am now eyeing some Monza alloys. In particular OEM MK6 18" rims. Unfortunately I am hopeless with cars. I am just wondering if these will fit onto the car. And also how much I should be prepared to spend- without tyres. Also what specific tyres should I buy?

In addition if there are any other alloys anyone can recommend within reason which would be compatible with a MK5 1.4 FSI Golf? I know the Monzas may be the pricier option so interested to other alternatives!

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Riley

Post Thanks / Like
    Yo can run a 7.5 or 8x18 with a 225/40 18 tyre without any issue. I recommend using the XL version of a tyre to reduce front sidewall distortion over time and 100 ish per corner should buy you a good midrange brand tyre, avoid Chinese stuff as they are noisy and have poor grip. My personal favorite is the Uniroyal Rainsport 3
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

3. Likes rwalia02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0.

Post moved to the correct section as OP can't read sub forum title, as it isn't a general question.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

5. Likes rwalia02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rwalia02 View Post
    I am just enquiring about some alloys for my MK5 Golf. I have a 1.4 FSI 07 golf which I had recently purchased as my first car. It has disappointedly come with steelys (hub caps.) I am now eyeing some Monza alloys. In particular OEM MK6 18" rims. Unfortunately I am hopeless with cars. I am just wondering if these will fit onto the car. And also how much I should be prepared to spend- without tyres. Also what specific tyres should I buy?

In addition if there are any other alloys anyone can recommend within reason which would be compatible with a MK5 1.4 FSI Golf? I know the Monzas may be the pricier option so interested to other alternatives!
    Many owners who have had 225/40R18 change to 225/45R17 for better ride comfort and to reduce the risk of rim damage from potholes.

For a huge improvement to ride comfort over 17" tyres and more mpg consider 195/65R15 on 6Jx15 ET47 5/112 57.1 steel rims.

The Alcar 9165 steel rims look fantastic, as they are an 18-hole design. If you damage one, then these steel rims are cheap to replace. Secondhand alloys will often give you a slow leak as air can escape between the tyre bead and the rim seat if the rim seat isn't in perfect condition. It's not much fun having to pump your tyres up every week if you do have a slow leak.

If you don't have a slow leak, you can go 6 months before needing to pump your tyres up.

Alcar 9165 Steel Rims
    https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-9165

mytyres.co.uk are listing Alcar 9165 steel rims for 28.20 whereas oponeo.co.uk are listing them for 42.

To provide a neat finish on these 15" steel rims, you might be able to use black plastic centre caps from a VW Caddy, part number 2K0601149C.

VW Caddy black plastic centre cap

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single...3688032/lang/e
    Last edited by Big453; 10-01-20 at 22:16.

7. Likes rwalia02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot!

Appreciate the information!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Octavia came with 17’s (factory option as they were 16’s on 5he estate) and the ride was quite good and I have driven the same cars on 16’s and it is not a huge amount better. I changed the OE spec 205’s for 225’s and it did not work too well, the rims were too narrow. I could not help myself though and fitted 18’s and the ride deteriorated significantly and got even worse on XL tyres as I found the sidewalls distorted over a few years on non XL. However I have stuck with them as I like the look and after 5 years replaced my now four, five and six sided Wolfrace rims for Alutec half an inch narrower which has helped the ride quality. However on the way home last Wednesday I encountered an engineering brick in the road which appeared all of a sudden and flap spotted the rim (it woke me up though!) but the tyre did not seemed damaged, going in the bin though... not worth it.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)