Thread: Dpf Cycle failing to complete and Cycle being done too often

Post Thanks / Like

Dpf Cycle failing to complete and Cycle being done too often

My DPF is causing issues on my 2011 Golf 1.6 TDI-CR, at times rev will go high and will smell in the cabin, the cycle fails to complete and the smell stays. Today i took it to motorway as i assumed car was doing a regen with revs near 1000rpm and then the dpf light came on, i kept at 60mph in 4th gear and evenutually the light went off again.

I have noticed it quite often the car fails to complete the cycle no matter how long you drive with combine local and motorway miles. Two weeks ago the particle filter mass soot was 22.8g, i did force regen while driving and eventually it came to 6g and the regen completed but its been less than 2 weeks and i have only done 100miles and its failing to complete the cycle again. Should i be getting these regen every 100 miles i thought it was once every tank full. We have been driving local and motorway.

IS the DPF kaput or should i put some dpf cleaner in it?
    2011 Golf 1.6 TDI-CR
    2010 Passat B6 2.0 TDI-CR DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Has your car had the VW emissions update carried out? When I got my old MK6 updated (which was a huge mistake), the regens were much more frequent than they were before the update. I would say that they probably happened every 150 to 200 miles but it did seem like it was constantly going through a regen. Before the update I would guess it was maybe that figure but that is a rough guess.
    2014 Golf Match BlueMotion 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Regen frequency is very much dependant on usage, and the diesel fix increases the frequency becasue the engine has been altered to create more soot. My 2.0 TDI would typically regen twice per tank full, approx every 200 to 250 miles. I monitored this over 18 months, using VCDS twice a week to ensure I didn't miss a regen. VCDS tells you miles since last regen. In the winter the regens were more frequent, and sometimes I did get a regen afetr 120 miles. I also did a comparison between Shell V Power and standard diesel - with Shell V power it went longer between regens. So I suspect fuel quality and various secret additives may affect the regen frequency too. I have not had my car fixed.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI CJZD (110PS) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

4. Thanks neo123 thanked for this post
    Likes neo123, Pauly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As said VCDS will show the soot/ash content and how many times its done a regen 22.8g doesn't seem high when it gets to 40g its high.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Has your car had the VW emissions update carried out? When I got my old MK6 updated (which was a huge mistake), the regens were much more frequent than they were before the update. I would say that they probably happened every 150 to 200 miles but it did seem like it was constantly going through a regen. Before the update I would guess it was maybe that figure but that is a rough guess.
    we did get the letter but i didnt do the upgrade. Do you get a smell in the cabin when its doing the regen?
    2011 Golf 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    As said VCDS will show the soot/ash content and how many times its done a regen 22.8g doesn't seem high when it gets to 40g its high.
    When i put the heaters on i got very bad smell coming from vent when the soot was 22g, as soon as it went back to 6g the smell disappeared.

Do you know if the dpf filters are the same for 1.6 caddys and golf in 2011 models.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-MK6-...EAAOSwBQ1d8SND
    2011 Golf 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neo123 View Post
    we did get the letter but i didnt do the upgrade. Do you get a smell in the cabin when its doing the regen?
    To be honest I never noticed much smell inside the car but it was noticeable when I stopped the car after the regen when the fans were running.
    I definitely would not recommend you getting that update done. It definitely ruined my car regardless of what VW say about it not having any adverse side effects.

9. Thanks neo123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neo123 View Post
    When i put the heaters on i got very bad smell coming from vent when the soot was 22g, as soon as it went back to 6g the smell disappeared.

Do you know if the dpf filters are the same for 1.6 caddys and golf in 2011 models.
    First job is change the pollen filter.

I don't know if the DPF is same on the Golf and Caddy, may be Crasher knows.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First job is change the pollen filter.

I don't know if the DPF is same on the Golf and Caddy, may be Crasher knows.
    thats the first thing i replaced, the smell is still ther when the car hasnt completed a regen once the soot is back to 6g the smell vanishes go away till it commences a regen again. Its a strong exhaust smell..
    2011 Golf 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    How many miles has your car done and are the revs constantly over 1000?
    You mentioned using a DPF cleaner in an earlier post. I've used redex for a long time on both my old MK6 and currently on my MK7 but I couldn't really say if it has improved the running of either car. My only problems on my MK6 came post update.

Maybe other people can give their views on additives and their efficiency.