Thread: Brake discs and Pads lifetime

Post Thanks / Like

Brake discs and Pads lifetime

Hi all

Just had a blocked drain from sun roof sorted at my dealer (free although out of warranty) they did the Free Health check they say both discs and pads front and back need changing. The car has done 55k and front are 80% worn back 70% worn. I queried with them about changing both discs and pads they said that they would expect to change pads at 20k so they were surprised at how long they had lasted. What are your experiences on pad / disc wear?
    2016 Sharan SEL Crimson 2.0 TDI - 184PS - 6 speed, DSG - Adaptive Cruise - Powered rear doors - DCC - Sidescan Blindspot - Powered tailgate - Rear camera - Park Assist - Xenons with Auto dim

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharan is a slightly heavier vehicle than my Touran, but for info I had new front pads at 70,000, rear pads and all discs are original and mileage is now 90,000. Given that pads are softer than discs you'd expect the discs to last much longer.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI CJZD (110PS) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no brake discs and pads wear facture on mileage it depends on how much heavy braking you do and do you have a good service.

The VW brake disc and pad replacement is just to make more money as OEM prices aren't cheap.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes I understand that - driving style and terrain will affect it, I tend not drive agressively - I've only had 8 tyres in that 55k (original 4 +4), what I was really querying was that both pads and discs need changing at the same time after never having new pads fitted
    2016 Sharan SEL Crimson 2.0 TDI - 184PS - 6 speed, DSG - Adaptive Cruise - Powered rear doors - DCC - Sidescan Blindspot - Powered tailgate - Rear camera - Park Assist - Xenons with Auto dim

Post Thanks / Like
    I run a 2017 Sharan 2.0Tdi (as well as a 2019 Alhambra), the Sharan needed the front Pads & Discs replaced at 110,000 when I had the Cam Belt & Water Pump replaced (do this as standard around 100,000) while the rears are still original, now on 123,000. Do do a lot of motorway mileage though

Post Thanks / Like
    We replace more pads and discs due to disc corrosion than pad or disc wear. How many miles we see people get out of their brakes amazes me compared to what I experienced as a young grease monkey, Mother of Crasher would get about 5k out of a set of pads but the discs lasted a lot longer, although no where near as long as they do these days. Mrs Crashers 2006 Polo GTI has done 60k miles and the front pads are still only 75% worn but I replaced the rears years ago due to rust. One thing is for certain, aftermarket pads don’t last as long as genuine ones but they are daft money genuine. Other mechanics I have spoken to who work on hybrid or electric vehicles are reporting virtually no pad wear due to regenerative braking BUT are changing pads and discs more on such vehicles than normal due to disc rust causing MOT failure. One chap told me he sometimes has to change the pads and discs on a Nissan Leaf every MOT.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)