Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Golf SV Sept 2015 with 7 Speed DSG - advice needed!

Post Thanks / Like

VW Golf SV Sept 2015 with 7 Speed DSG - advice needed!

Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice.

Due to the issues that the DSG boxes have, I am considering swapping out my Golf for a new car - using it to do a straight swap for another car, possibly not a VW.

The car was given to me 3 years ago after a relative passed away. Other than servicing (and a replacement front NS suspension unit) it has not cost me anything.

I have read numerous reports of these 7 speed dry clutch units being unreliable so would expect it to fail in the next few years, and given how it is likely to cost in the thousands to repair, am thinking of heading off any problems and swapping it out for a new car, possibly not VW, while it still has some value.

However, I really like the car. It is the best car I have ever owned. I love the 1.4 TSI engine and I would never be able to forward one like it again, so am undecided, which is where you guys come in (hopefully).

I am aware of the issue with these earlier gearboxes where it transpired the oil used was dissolving the lead-free solder in the electronics, so was swapped out for mineral oil. I am not sure whether this gearbox came with the mineral oil already present - I did question the dealer last year about it and he looked at me as if I was stupid. Does anyone know from what date these 7 speed boxes were produced with the correct oil in? I.e, do I need to get the oil changed to the mineral oil or was it filled with the mineral oil at the factory?

Secondly, I only ever read about these gearboxes failing, so does anyone have a feel for how many fail compared to how many are fine? Do more fail than not? Is there a good possibility my car will be fine until it eventually needs new clutch packs? I drive around 8,000 miles a year. It does a daily commute of around 8 miles each way. Daily short journeys too. I very rarely drive it hard.

Thank you in advance - appreciate any assistance you guys can give me.
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG RET. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I remember that well known expert Honest John and his associates proclaiming that this box was a heap of trouble. Obviously you can accept his opinions as you choose.
    My opinions of him and his site will remain confidential in the interests of peace and harmony.
    My findings from a very reliable source e.g. official VW service manager (and long term friend) states that the failure rate for cars supplied by his large dealership is single figures per 100.
    I think that is not too bad but he also went on to say that if and when a "failure" is suspected some folk search out a replacement from perhaps dubious sources and as these boxes are car specific and will need the skill and equipment of a qualified VW tech to install and code as necessary it might have been a better idea to come to a dealer first and gain the necessary advice before undertaking a repair or DIY replacement. He used the words tricky, nightmare and sketch a few times relating to cheapo kerbside motorworks repairs.
    Some will say that "he would say that" as a dealer but IMO you are either a VW expert or you are not.
    My half life in auto engineering leaves me useless with technology changing so much.
    I am sure folk will come on here and state that these boxes are unreliable and everybody is entitled to their opinion. The facts might just be different.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

3. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
    Likes Chewystu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2015-09/2016, Model: Golf Sportsvan (SV), Transmission Code: RET, Transmission Type: 7A, Remarks: In 2014 an all-new successor to the Golf Plus was revealed, the Golf Sportsvan (SV) 0CW Gearbox

Campaigns as this synthetic gear oil causes damage to the internal electronics

New to Golf 1.6Tdi Dsg 2010 on 17k miles. DSG QUESTIONS
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

5. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Anne View Post
    I think I remember that well known expert Honest John and his associates proclaiming that this box was a heap of trouble. Obviously you can accept his opinions as you choose.
    My opinions of him and his site will remain confidential in the interests of peace and harmony.
    My findings from a very reliable source e.g. official VW service manager (and long term friend) states that the failure rate for cars supplied by his large dealership is single figures per 100.
    I think that is not too bad but he also went on to say that if and when a "failure" is suspected some folk search out a replacement from perhaps dubious sources and as these boxes are car specific and will need the skill and equipment of a qualified VW tech to install and code as necessary it might have been a better idea to come to a dealer first and gain the necessary advice before undertaking a repair or DIY replacement. He used the words tricky, nightmare and sketch a few times relating to cheapo kerbside motorworks repairs.
    Some will say that "he would say that" as a dealer but IMO you are either a VW expert or you are not.
    My half life in auto engineering leaves me useless with technology changing so much.
    I am sure folk will come on here and state that these boxes are unreliable and everybody is entitled to their opinion. The facts might just be different.
    Very much appreciate your post - always good to obtain unbias comments.
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG RET. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2015-09/2016, Model: Golf Sportsvan (SV), Transmission Code: RET, Transmission Type: 7A, Remarks: In 2014 an all-new successor to the Golf Plus was revealed, the Golf Sportsvan (SV) 0CW Gearbox

Campaigns as this synthetic gear oil causes damage to the internal electronics

New to Golf 1.6Tdi Dsg 2010 on 17k miles. DSG QUESTIONS
    Thanks Keith - I have read that post with great interest before. Brings me back to my question above - would my 2015 DSG already have the mineral oil in it or does it need the "bad" oil replacing with mineral oil?

Post Thanks / Like
    That bloke John has a seriously negative attitude to VAG products, he really does not like them BUT the 7 speed DQ200/AKA 0AM dry clutch box is a bit of a liability. We have a Fabia 2 here and the selector unit failed and stuck in park, we got the new one yesterday after waiting two months for it to come off of back order. personally I would not own an 0AM version but the seven speed DQ500 wet clutch is a strong unit and very reliable... well apart from clutches and mechatronics units! To be honest I would be more worried about owning a car with the 1.4 TFSI engine, they are a liability, I would not touch one, we have a Scirocco coming in on Monday for a 2000 top end rebuild and the poor lad has only just bought it.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough Mr C I am not going to argue with you - but I am not going to argue with my mate either, he of once soggy feet like me in inspection pits and now a sharp suit when he says that failures are single figures per 100 (his dealership supplied cars).
    Other failures he suggests are either dodgy DIY jobs or neglected and misuse jobs.
    "If they had come to us in the first place with any issues which were not, as they believed necessarily serious"
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

10. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything I''ve read seems to say that its the early 7 spd boxes that are a problem, ie before 2015. I'm in the same boat as Chewystu we have a Fabia (2nd car) with the 7 spd DSG, we keep our cars generally for 160,000 miles ( the main car) or 16 years (the 2nd car lower mileage) - if the Fabia's DSG goes before its 8 years old we'd have the DSG replaced and know it would be good for another 8 years. I know it could cost 5000 to replace a DSG but that's much less than buying a new car.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI CJZD (110PS) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

12. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all have to look at longevity one way, anything over 100000 miles is a bonus as that is all they are designed to do by ALL mainstream manufacturers.That a typical Skoda Octavia 1U will easily cover double that is not unusual, mine has done 185k and feels like new. The VAG PQ34 platform of that time, i.e. Golf 4, A3, Octavia, Leon etc was a very sturdy platform that VAG have yet to replicate. I can’t help feeling that car design has gone too far in that we need to step back and go back to basics using what we have learnt, “emissions and safety” so to capitalise on those features but lose bulk.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

14. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1.4tsi with 7 speed DSG.Its a 2017 with 18k miles so far trouble free.I will likely replace it in the next year or so and would like another DSG but how do you know which type of gearbox the car has

16. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast