Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving tips for DSG novice

Post Thanks / Like

Driving tips for DSG novice

As mentioned in my introductory post I have a new 2020 Passat Estate SE Nav 1.5 TSI EVO 150PS 7-speed DSG arriving some time in March and I have never driven an automatic before. Is there any do's and dont's I need to be aware of when driving this car?

This had to be a factory order as I wanted an area view camera fitted because I am hoping it will be useful when parking the car in my garage, which is a little tight although a previous Pergeot 406 estate didn't seem to be an issue. At present my Beetle Design occupies that space. I asked the dealer to fit mudflaps but he refused as he said it was against VW policy to fit them before cars were registered due to emission regs. Really helpful that. Anyway any driving tips are most welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to check the details of what your ordered and signed for.

I ordered full mud flaps on my Golf, they were fitted when I picked it up. Whether VW policy has changed since.

You should have ordered the OEM camera as it will cost more to fit and setup after you have bought it.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2015 SV had mudflaps fitted when collected at no charge.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the policy must have changed as it wasn't a problem when I ordered my Beetle in 2015 either. I suppose I can always have them fitted by local dealer after I collect the car - the dealer I am buying from is not local to me. Not sure what you mean about the camera. It is an added option hence the car had to be a factory order. The details of my order are clear. SE Nav 1.5 DSG 7 gear with optional fitted area view camera and full size spare wheel.
    2020 Passat Estate 1.5 TSI DSG 7 speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Takahashi View Post
    Is there any do's and dont's I need to be aware of when driving this car?
    Anyway any driving tips are most welcome.
    First DSG car I ever drove was my current one. I find the box excellent and a world away from previous conventional auto boxes.
    Better? Well perhaps different...
    My only real gripe is that it has a habit of lashing itself from 7th into 3rd or 4th when lifting off the throttle on a downward slope and even breathing on the brake pedal.
    Apparently deciding that some engine braking is needed at these times but it does take a bit of getting used to and the first time it happens may well be a shock when you see the tachometer needle heading skywards!
    I now flick it across into manual to keep it in 7th or 6th. In the five years I have had it and doing that I have never careered into a wall at the foot of any hill - and my brakes are still original.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.

6. Thanks Takahashi thanked for this post
    Likes Takahashi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you mean about the camera. It is an added option hence the car had to be a factory order. The details of my order are clear. SE Nav 1.5 DSG 7 gear with optional fitted area view camera and full size spare wheel.
    I am intrigued with this issue. If you specifically ordered a vehicle with a factory fitted camera then you should get a vehicle with a factory fitted camera as per your request, not one fitted afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    That could be scary. Good job I lost all my hair a while back! Fortunately, we don't have many hills around here but I do travel down to Cornwall now and then which I think is a bit like your neck of the woods. So at a red light you keep it in D and keep your foot on the brake? Then on amber lift foot of brake and onto accelerator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Anne View Post
    I am intrigued with this issue. If you specifically ordered a vehicle with a factory fitted camera then you should get a vehicle with a factory fitted camera as per your request, not one fitted afterwards.
    That's exactly what's happening. Why the confusion?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what's happening. Why the confusion?
    What you ordered is what you should get, unless I am misreading something.
    I can see trouble ahead........

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are misreading something. I have ordered a car with an added option of an area view camera. This had to be built from scratch at the factory. That's it. Whilst waiting for the car to be delivered I enquired with the dealer if he could fit some mudguards. He said he couldn't do this as VW policy will not allow this on an unregistered car. Why do you think there's trouble ahead?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast