Thread: 1999 Cabrio Leak above front window

Post Thanks / Like

1999 Cabrio Leak above front window

I've got a drip landing on the driver's seat which seams to be coming from where the window seals against the rubber on the roof. I've tried lubricating the rubber, adjusting the J hooks etc but no luck.

Comparing it to the passenger side the good seal on that side seems to sit further towards the outside of the car so there is a nice overlap of the rubber on the top of glass, ensuring that the water runs down the outside.

I've pulled it about a bit and I can't get the door to close any tighter or move the seal further outward on the driver's side. Am thinking maybe a new seal would help but not really sure what to search for. Does this seal have a particular name to make it easier to find?

Thanks
    1999 Golf Cabriolet Avant-Garde Engine????

Post Thanks / Like
    Further fiddling with this makes me think it could be the window being slightly wobbly. If I shut the door and then give the window a shove at the top it does seal better and does not leak. For the time being I'll need to remember to do that but doesn't look like an easy fix otherwise...

Post Thanks / Like
    The Golf 3 cab roof seals can be a trial now they are getting old and almost very part is now obsolete from VW and only available through the Classic organisation represented in the UK by VW Heritage.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dooley do

VW heritage is a pretty good bunch (I rebuilt an A/C dub bus engine last summer for a work colleague and he bought loads and loads of parts from them) and I've used them for rear axle bushes on my 1E. Cheap, too, and quick delivery. I'd suggest give them a shout - they might even be able to forward you a microfiche picture to help you locate the correct part you want.

Another approach would be to embrace then inevitable leakage that any old cabriolet has. Whenever I remember, I wind the window down and back up and I find this reduces (not eliminates completely!) any sneaky drips than might normally get in.

Another another approach is to park in a garage I like this approach as it asks very little of my little technical brain.
    2000 Golf 3 1E, 1.8 8v - ABS