Thread: VW Beetle 1973 Moon vent production error

Post Thanks / Like

VW Beetle 1973 Moon vent production error

Hi, Does anyone have any information on a possible production error on the VW beetle when they changed from the 1972 model with no vent to 73 which has the moon shaped vent on the rear pillar. I was chatting to a VW resoration guy who told me that when the factory was changing the production to the newer 73 shape an error on the production line occured where the body panel was stamped with the moon vent imprint/recess but didnt go through the next step of having the shape cut out. He seemed to think about 60 vehicles left the production line without having the moon vents properly fitted. I have looked in a couple of VW beetle books but can't find any reference to this information being out there. Does anyone have any idea? or leads?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 2010 Transporter 1.9 TDI?

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2010-06/2011, Model: Transporter, Engine Code: CAAE, 100Kw, 136PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR)
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 09/2009-11/2019, Model: Transporter, Engine Code: CAAB, 75Kw, 102PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/2009-06/2011, Model: Transporter, Engine Code: CAAA, 62Kw, 84PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR)

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 03/2003-11/2009, Model: Transporter, Engine Code: AXB, 77Kw, 105PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD) Timing belt

Crasher is the classic Beetle expert along with other VAG models.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Yes sorry, I had not appreciated the formalities.

My Work van is a 2010 Transporter 1.9 TDI, 4 motion. Im not sure on which engine it has, i will try and find out later in the week.

My question relates to a VW beetle we are looking at. A VW restorer who was on site to advise a client on purchasing a Landrover saw the beetle in question in storage and mentioned the vent production error. I am trying to establish if this information is correct as I found no record of it online or in a couple of books I've looked at regarding beetle history.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2010 Transporter 1.9 TDI?