Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: The stupid plastic dipstick tube

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gazwould's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,226
    Post Thanks / Like

    The stupid plastic dipstick tube

    Firstly an engineering issue as it's made of plastic and should be metal and part of the engine .

    A push fit design with no locating tab .

    It's bent , no idea why as the dip stick is relatively inflexible .

    So I straighten it slightly to aid the vacume tube down , "snap" .

    Got a new genuine 038103663 .

    Removing the old broken up one yes a piece fell in , the part that initially breaks has a thinner wall !

    It's all a very , very , stupid design .


    Got it in light taps to locate and try the dipstick , the resistance of removal pulls up the new tube .

    More light taps to locate and new tube splits at the bottom .

    Now here's the issue , there is far too much resistance to both insert and remove the dipstick , way more than the old original one .

    Phone up TPS and said they've never had a problem with them !!

    Another new comming Monday .

    If same resistance I won't be fitting .

    Advice ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gaz, imagine you’re well past this one now? I snapped my dipstick tube fixing a PCV valve last year. I went non genuine from Autodoc, no issues (except removing the cracked plastic stump).

    Agreed should be more robust, will have to check in with the cool kids with B6-8’s if they updated for later models

  3. #3
    Senior Member Gazwould's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Strangely I was only refitting the new one only yesterday evening !

    One from a scrap car I experimented with , cutting the tab off at the bottom allows it to fit turned 180° , the tube is then much more upright and not leaning towards the nearside wing .

    So I ran it like this for some time minus top cover , top cover does locate but you have to bend the dip stick tube .

    In the end I thought better to be safe than sorry and fit the new one in it's designed lean over position .

    Despite 7.5 years of overservicing I couldn't get the top cover on !!!

    The new tube kept lifting up as I tried to position the 3 locating stubs , the covers locating rubber grommets wanted to part company and for good measure some of the cover insulation too .

    So I gave up this simple simple task and opted for silicone glue to the grommets and insulation .

    The dipstick tube I then did tap down harder than I wanted to but then dropped down to locate .

    So take two in the next hour , lol .
    Last edited by Gazwould; 21-07-20 at 06:57.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Gazwould's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    The penny drops...

    I'd also fitted a 90° silicone hose with Mikalor clamps to eliminate some of the poorly designed originals .

    Hose was longer than OE so I cut some off.. not enough as it's pushing the intercooler pipework that has one of three cover locating studs built on .
    Last edited by Gazwould; 21-07-20 at 09:18.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •