Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towbar

Post Thanks / Like

Towbar

Had my SV just over a year now and have no regrets. It does exactly what we wanted it to do for us. However I am thinking of having a towbar fitted to pull a small trailer I already have..tip runs etc.. Is there anything I should be careful about, or consider, before employing someone to fit one for me. Thanks in advance
    2018 Golf SV SE Nav 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are employing a professional well established company they will know exactly what is required concerning electrics etc.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    As Sam&Anne has said. With VW's (and probably many other makes) doing the electrics for towing is no longer the simple splice into existing wiring that it used to be.
    This subject has cropped up previously on this forum, briefly there is a specific towbar electrics module for the CANBUS that is required, that is quite important as it ensures that the ABS/ESP functionality knows when there is a trailer attached, it also alters the rear parking sensors so they do not sound when the trailer is attached. I have a VW approved Westfahlia detachable swanneck tow-bar on my Touran and the overall cost for towbar, electrics and fitting was just over 700. If you search the forum you will no doubt find some of the other posts on the subject.
    Last edited by Touranasaurus; 14-02-20 at 20:04.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI CJZD (110PS) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fully agree with all that.
    I have fitted countless towbars in a past life without issue or comeback. However times have certainly changed big time.
    On the O/P 2018 vehicle would I embark on fitting a fully wired tow bar?
    Answer - No.
    Source a professional company IMO.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tread VERY carefully with non-VW towbar fitters!

Way back when I bought my Golf Mk4, when it was just a matter of connecting into the wiring loom and fitting a relay to turn the rear foglight off when a trailer was attached, I went to our local professional fitters. They managed to blow so many fuses that they ran out of stock (the Golf was using a type that were new to them I think). And it was only after a few weeks that I spotted they cracked the corner of the rear light cluster and glued it back together (but by then I couldn't prove they'd done rather than me )

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Now that VW have ceased production of the Golf SV, and believe cars should only come in 50 shades of grey, I have ordered a Race Blue Skoda Karoq Sportline as a replacement!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will not use anything but the genuine VW accessory tow bar and most importantly, the CAN BUS electrics kit.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine fitted at Peter Bowman Towing Centre, Bury https://www.towing.co.uk/ i see you are North Lancs so they shouldn`t be too far from you.

Excellent job for 13 pin dedicated harness and included programming to the car and the Park Pilot system, not cheap but well worth it IMHO.

The car then knows when it towing and disables just the rear parking censors and shows a trailer / caravan on the infotainment screen.

I also went for the proper lower trim section in the rear bumper which had to be ordered from VW and came from Germany as they are a non stock item.

Several other companies said they would just cut a hole in the existing bumper, i didn`t want it spoilt for the sake of 80.
    Last edited by Wooie; 16-02-20 at 09:33.
    2015 Golf SV 1.6 TDI-CR CXXB DSG

8. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two qualified tow bar fitters close to us. I had a quote once from one which was in the 600 region for a complete job.
    This chap is used by the VW dealership (who sent me to him) for all their tow bar work. Customers are told the dealership don't fit bars but send them to the independent and the customer pays the dealership who will obviously have a deal with the independent fitter.
    I have seen his workshop and indeed his work and it is excellent. I was instantly envious with memories of my time but too many changes and much too much technology for me!
    I can't remember the make of bar which he uses but I will call with him next time I am passing.
    In any case IMO a proper professional job is required due to the complexity so stay well away from KerbsideTowbars.com ( not to be confused with other companies of a similar name)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the very useful advice
    2018 Golf SV SE Nav 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Woole. Booked in at Peter Bowman's . Westfalia bar with all the correct electrics and attached to car computer. Warranty remains intact. 420 including Vat for non detachable.( Just over 500 for detachable) Gone for non detachable
    2018 Golf SV SE Nav 1.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast