Thread: Water leak into the boot from left side window area 2016 Passat Estate

Post Thanks / Like

Question Water leak into the boot from left side window area 2016 Passat Estate

Hi. Iíve just found a massive (in my opinion) water leak into my 3 year old Passat estateís boot that appears to originate from the left rear side fixed window. Iíve no idea yet where the actual source is located or why itís become an issue, but I would like to hear if others have had a similar problem, what their cause and repair was, and if VW were kind and either contributed towards or conducted the repair at VWís cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a water leak into the boot of my Touran which appeared to come from the fixed left side rear window. It turned out that the rubber tailgate seal had been fitted incorrectly with the joint high up on the left had side (approx. 10 oclock position) when the joint should have been in the middle at the bottom (6 oclock). So it is probably worth checking that as its a very simple fix. Another common cause is the rear screen washer pipe disconnects. Another source of water ingress, but its much lower down, are the pressure relief vents (if your Passat has them) each side behind the plastic bumper.
    Water leaks are very difficult to find.
    My Touran was in the bodyshop (its 7 years old - and I was paying) for 2 weeks, they had to strip the whole of the interior of the boot area including removing the 2 rows of rear seats.
    Last edited by Touranasaurus; 01-03-20 at 21:18.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it definitely a leak and not condensation? With my old Ford Fiesta I used to get a lot of condensation during winter months on the tailgate window and this would run down into the boot, under the spare wheel. It would appear like a leak, but I'm sure it was condensation, because I never had this problem in the summer months, even if it rained a lot.

If you think it is a leak, maybe take everything out of the boot, strip as many panels as you can and then pressure wash your car with all the doors shut. It may reveal where the water is coming from.

Also check the tailgate rubber boot lids and make sure they press firmly and there are no kinks around the sides.

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/v...c89fddba22.jpg
    2015 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR CRBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi both thank you for replying. The water is definitely coming from the area by the left hand side window as I have seen it running from under the trim I put a towel in that area last night and the heavy rain meant I could wring it out this morning!! There is also a distinct puddle in the spare wheel well. I had seen other mentions of owners having the same issues. I am taking it in to VW tomorrow but they say I will have to pay as the car is just over 3 years old, itís my 3rd Passat and the others were owned long past the 3 year point and I never had any problems like this. I am sure itís a manufacturing fault but hoped that others may have had similar problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you kick off a fuss they may still be able to fix it under warranty. It should not be leaking after 3 years, so call VW customer support and complain. It sounds like the window adhesive has not bonded properly and has a small gap, which allows water to get in. Sometimes if the car is just out of warranty and the job is not too expensive, they fix it as a good will gesture. Let us know how you get on.
    2015 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR CRBC

Post Thanks / Like
    JK10 - First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says: 2016 Passat Estate 1.9 TDI.

They use 1.9 TDI on that year its 2.0 TDI-CR, I've updated your car spec.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2016-11/2018, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: DBGB, 81Kw, 110PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR)
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/2016-, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: CRLD, 81Kw, 110PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt TrendLine
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2015-11/2017, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: DFEA, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 07/2015-, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: DBGA, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/2014-07/2017, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: CRLB, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.