Thread: Water Pump

Post Thanks / Like

Water Pump

Hi all,

Had the cam-belt changed on my Golf SV yesterday at a local dealer.

I opted for the Cam Belt and Water Pump (as they have taken it apart, may as well have the water pump changed) but I was told when I went to pick the car up that the water pump on my engine is on the passenger side (the opposite side to the cam belt).

I have had a look around the engine and cannot see any pulley wheels, etc, for a belt to connect to the water pump, so can only assume it is an electric pump, which I have not heard of before.

Can anyone confirm this?

I asked when the water pump would need replacing and was told basically when it starts to leak! And that it would cost around 350.00 to replace. So upside - saved myself 50.00 on cam belt change not having to have the water pump changed...downside - water pump is going to cost a lot to change when it needs doing!
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG RET. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is a bit of an odd design, driven off the back of the cam by its own belt and it also has an electric pump primarily to support the charge air cooler.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

3. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
    Likes Chewystu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    VW dealers are obviously primed to try to sell you a new water pump as they also asked me if I wanted a new one fitted when they changed my cambelt. But I declined it as I was told a failure would be covered under an extended warranty anyway.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recommending changing the water pump is not upselling and if the water pump collapses and takes out the engine, that may not be covered, at least in full. I would check the warranty information for wear and tear water pump failure with consequential damage.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Recommending changing the water pump is not upselling and if the water pump collapses and takes out the engine, that may not be covered, at least in full. I would check the warranty information for wear and tear water pump failure with consequential damage.
    Hi Crasher, in your experience, when is the best time to change the water pump on these engines where they are "separate" from the cam-belt change process?
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG RET. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it leaks. The EA888 chain drive 1.8/2.0 litre engine uses a similar system and the pumps are very unreliable; last summer we could not get them anywhere genuine or aftermarket there was such a demand.