Thread: Engine swap for a 1.0L Petrol 6n?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Engine swap for a 1.0L Petrol 6n?

Hi,

I have a 1999 Polo 6N 1.0L facelift-model .

Of course the 50hp powerplant is nothing too exciting, however the appearance of the vehicle is superb!

I would love to be able to swap a 1.4t or similar engine in to my car, however I've heard this can be a pain even for models which originally supported a more powerful engine to the old 1.0L.

I am fully aware that the gear box would not withstand the extra hp and would also need to be replaced. The only things I am left in the dark for are the complications concerning body work, chassis work, rewiring and anything else that may make the build more of a challenge. The internet is not very abundant of people with 1.0L polos looking to swap for larger engines.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

What engine size/type are you thinking about?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Thanks Sid6n thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply!

I would be looking to drop in something like a 1.4 turbo or even a 1.6 naturally aspirated GTI engine, which both seemed quite cheap online.

To be honest, the most affordable and easy to swap engine would be ideal. It would just need to be around or over 100hp
    1999 Polo 6N 1.0

Post Thanks / Like
    The low bonnet line of the 6N1 can be a trial as anything decent has to be set so low the sump is vulnerable. I would not put a 1.4 TFSI twin charger (BMY, CAVD et al) in it, they are a piece of junk. Come to think of it, I have a Polo spec AVY lying on the floor in my stash. I bought hundreds of years ago to go in a Lupo GTI only to find the Polo and Lupo GTI with the AVY use a different block... gits!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

6. Thanks Sid6n thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply,

Come to think of it I've noticed the front end is unusually short, and I suppose this would prove very difficult when working with larger engines.

I shall save my money for a car with some greater options.

Thanks again
    1999 Polo 6N 1.0