Thread: 2012 VW Golf 1.4 TSI blows fuse #6 (Instrument Cluster), Cars goes Off

Post Thanks / Like

2012 VW Golf 1.4 TSI blows fuse #6 (Instrument Cluster), Cars goes Off

Recently, while driving home, my car Instrument Cluster went off and the car also switched off instantly (radio also went off, but interior lights and parking lights were available). From the basics of electrical power loss, I checked the battery terminals (found them tightly secured) and voltage ( found to be 12.87V). Checking the Engine Compartment Fuse box, I found Fuse#6 blown, which I replaced and the car was able to crank.

Two days later, the same scenario happened but this time the radio remains powered, whenever i replaced the Fuse #6, it blew off instantly. I left the car overnight after which i replaced the fuse again and got engine to crank again. The car has no fault codes or warning lights after scanning it using an OBD11 tool. This issue has been unpredictable as i can run with the car for a few days before blowing the fuse.

The Engine Control Module was replaced on 22 Jan 2020 and I've used the car for about 1.5 months. I've tried isolating the Instrument cluster, the car cranks but blows the fuse after a few minutes. I would appreciate your input on this fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuse 6 5A in the e-box under the bonnet - Brake light switch (F).

PDF files

Read post #1 you have a gmail email, it doesn't allow large files to be posted.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know if you have the low or high ebox, SB6 is for the line 15 relay on the high and for the dash panel and other lines on the low. E box low after May 2011 would have a 5 amp fuse at SB6 and two relay positions and the high a 15amp fuse and four relay positions. Is it DSG or manual and does it have stop/start?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a attached a photo of the Ebox. Looks like a Low Ebox.

Transmission is Auto, with a 7 speed DSG, Model without stop/start system
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ebox Fig.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	7189  
    2012 Golf 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    From SB6 there is a thin (0.5mm² CSA) red/yellow wire which comes out of the e-box at the 40 socket plug at position 25 and into the car, then splits off at a junction point helpfully labeled as "in the interior wiring harness" from there one line goes to the 32 socket plug on the dash unit J285 at socket 32 (still as a red/yellow) and the other to the J527 steering column controller at the 16 socket plug at socket 1
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    I will post the codes once the motor has been scanned by VCDS.
    2012 Golf 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    From SB6 there is a thin (0.5mm² CSA) red/yellow wire which comes out of the e-box at the 40 socket plug at position 25 and into the car, then splits off at a junction point helpfully labeled as "in the interior wiring harness" from there one line goes to the 32 socket plug on the dash unit J285 at socket 32 (still as a red/yellow) and the other to the J527 steering column controller at the 16 socket plug at socket 1

Planning to perform wiring check tomorrow. I will revert once the process is done.
    2012 Golf 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the fuse blow immediately?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Does the fuse blow immediately?
    The fuse blows instantly while in some instances I can drive for 1-2 days before it blows.

Instant fuse blow offs cases exceeds the occasional fuse blowing.
    2012 Golf 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this test won't help if it doesn't blow immediately but disconnect the pod and try it, then the steering column controller which will help you determine which it is. At the moment however, once you have decided which to try first, especially with the pod, you are going to be stuck as both require specilsist coding and used pods are very difficult to get program in so you will have to wait until this stupid mess has calmed down.