Thread: Steering wheel and seat compatibility

Post Thanks / Like

Steering wheel and seat compatibility

Hi guys,

So I have this 2005 Golf 1.9 TDI and the steering wheel is pretty nasty and rubbery after 15 years and 180k miles, so I am looking to change it.

At the moment it has the original 4 spoke wheel inside.

Can I swap the steering wheel with something different, like an newer VW or Audi steering wheel, so do they share the same spline? Also same airbag connector?

I am aware the backlight will not work, and the MFSW module is required for the buttons to work, but I would be happy without both of those options.

Same questions with the seat, does the VAG group cars has the same seat mounting, so can I just literally bolt in an Audi seat?

The whole VW world is pretty new to me, so if you guys have like a cheap swap/mod that makes the car just a bit nicer, please let me know, and if I find something I will post it here!

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is built on what is known as the PQ35 platform so mechanically almost all VAG PQ35 platform wheels and their matching air bags (but not badges) are interchangeable BUT the steering column electrics unit can get upset about certain changes and it becomes a hugely variable subject so to start with we need to know more about your cars build spec. A full “global scan” of the cars systems using VAG specific diagnostic equipment, including the VIN, would help. You are almost certainly going to need your own copy of a system such as VCDS to be able to accomplish this.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.