Thread: Transmission fluid Mk4 Golf TDI (S reg)

Post Thanks / Like

Transmission fluid Mk4 Golf TDI (S reg)

I am looking for a transmission dipstick but can't seem to find it. As mine is an auto I thought there would be one. Can anyone advise. Thanks.
    1998 Golf 1.9 TDI, Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    No, they don’t have one, the level is set using a specific procedure and at a fluid temperature between 30 and 40 degrees C using a diagnostic computer, assuming you have the 01M 4 speed, 2 is the level setting tube, running in park at 30 to 40 degrees.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks for this. I have read that the transmission fluid is a lifetime sealed unit and elsewhere that the fluid should be changed around the 100k miles mark. If I take the latter how much fluid does the transmission hold?
    1998 Golf 1.9 TDI, Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    The sealed for life thing is nonsense, just car sales BS to shift metal to fleet users. Private message me your UK reg or VIN please.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The sealed for life thing is nonsense, just car sales BS to shift metal to fleet users. Private message me your UK reg or VIN please.

Hi,

I have sent the details through.

Thanks
    1998 Golf 1.9 TDI, Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    In theory it takes 5.3 litres but that is the dry capacity so it should take less. The VW manual says "Although a change is not always mandatory, "fresh" ATF after high milage (approximately every 60,000 km) cannot damage and promote trouble free operation"... so in non BS terms, change your ATF every 37283 miles or you will kill the box... since when has 37K miles been high mileage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers boss.