Thread: Would incorrect battery cause problems?

Post Thanks / Like

Would incorrect battery cause problems?

Hi

My car is a 2005 Golf Plus 1.9 TDi

A year ago my battery failed, I called the recovery services out, and they replaced it, with what I have just discovered is the wrong type for my model.
    The battery they fitted is a LION 027 60Ah EN 480 CCA

recently I have been have been having problems with the battery draining, on the first occasion the car locked the central locking and refused to open with the key (button or manually)
    I managed to open the door with the 2nd key!

I took the car to the garage and they tested the alternator and said it was charging the battery fine.

Since being in lockdown due to COVID-19 the car sat outside for 3 days, when I went to start the battery it was flat.

So my question is; 1) Is using the wrong Ah battery the issue 2) could it be a duff battery 3) or is something parasitic draining?

I believe I should be using an 096 with at least 70Ah or am I barking up the wrong tree?

As I can't find a garage open in these strange times, I would appreciate any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you private message me your REG number I will tell you what VW list for your car.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    The genuine VAG part number for your cars battery is 000 915 105 DG which is a72AH/380A unit and cross references as British Battery Manufacturers Society (BBMS) number 096, this is the system used by my favourite manufacturer Yuasa. The most common source of Lion batteries is Euro Car Parts and they are very popular because they are the cheapest of the cheap, basically 20 less than their closest competitors and the ECP trade system correctly identifies your car as needing a 096 from Lion, Bosch, Exide and Varta; so does the Yuasa look up system... so someone cocked up! However, I suspect that is not the reason for the battery being flat... more a contributory factor. Is there anything non OE on the car such as an aftermarket head unit?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

This coronavirus is a pain in the backside for finding any parts if its not food or medical.

Battery drain has been talked about many times on here if you search?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.