Thread: Battery charging

Post Thanks / Like

Battery charging

I have a 2017 Golf Estate Match 1.4 TSI DSG. Because of self isolation and lack of use over the last 4 weeks the display is telling me the battery is low.

It will start and I run the engine a bit every week in the garage but I would like to put a battery charger on it.
    Can I put a trickle charge on the battery say 2 amps without disconnecting the battery and losing all the settings?

photocol

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a cTeck unit, very affordable. Put the earth to the body tag, not the battery terminal. When the world unlocks itself, I am expecting a huge demand for new batteries and jump start call outs... got one step ahead of the panic buyers for one by putting a new battery on Mrs Crashers Polo on Saturday as it was totally dead and would not take charge... three year old Exide Premium!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

I had the battery is low warning on my radio for along time before I brought a new battery, even though it starts up normal.

There are plenty of trickle chargers on the market you can Google, mine only puts out 6A.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like

Battery charging

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Use a cTeck unit, very affordable. Put the earth to the body tag, not the battery terminal. When the world unlocks itself, I am expecting a huge demand for new batteries and jump start call outs... got one step ahead of the panic buyers for one by putting a new battery on Mrs Crashers Polo on Saturday as it was totally dead and would not take charge... three year old Exide Premium!

Thanks for the advice, I am getting a CTEK Charger.

photocol
    2017 Golf Estate Match 1.4 TSI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Save and buy a Maypole-7423A-Battery-Charger , everything a Ctek does.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long should the battery be able to keep charge? My car managed one start after three weeks, and then would not start. I'm still not clear on how much of a drive is required to just recover the charge taken by starting the car, especially in light of all the magic boxes drawing current in a modern car.
    2018 Passat B8 R-Line 2.0 162KW, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, well I started car, moved it, started it again and moved it back, next day put it on charger. Charger was showing battery was not in great state. Took it off charger this morning, car won't start, 10V odd only. Strange, seems like being on the trickle carger pushed it over the edge. Anyway, now I get to take car to dealers for battery testing and replacement...
    2018 Passat B8 R-Line 2.0 162KW, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a cTeck unit, very affordable. Put the earth to the body tag, not the battery terminal.
    I have a CTEK and they sell Direct Connector Adapters which connect directly to the battery terminals. I leave this adapter connected permanently to the battery (one model also has an LED indicator state of charge) and just plug the charger lead into this adapter. Seems to work OK. CTEK make the same model of automatic battery charger for Jaguar, Aston Martin amongst others. They also offer a comfort indicator which is able to charge through the cigar lighter socket - just right for A-M owners!
    2016 Golf Alltrack 2.0 TDI-CR - 135KW - BA5C8R
    2008 Fiat Panda Cross 4x4