Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor MPG after Cambelt change

Post Thanks / Like

Poor MPG after Cambelt change

Hi,

Im wondering if someone can help with my 2014 CC BlueMotion R-line 2.0TDI 170PS and only done 47K

My problem started at October 2019 following a Full Service + Cambelt Service (with water pump changed) by the VW Parkway group.

Things haven’t been right since, the car now does not return good MPG and hosted other issues like, engine pinking and noticeable power loss. Parkway swear that they haven’t swapped parts out of this motor.

The car used to return high 60's MPG as i mostly drive off peak and sit behind lorries when not in a hurry. Its costing me more to run and evident post refuelling at the station.

Currently im struggling to get 55MPG and that me feathering the throttle, the trip computer shows the car dropping to single digit MPG figures when pulling away ie out my drive etc.

Doing any manoeuvring around vehicles on the road (tickling the throttle) drops the MPG down to around 20MPG and that’s not even with my foot down.

What’s been done so far.

Parkway have had the vehicle in and out since the December 2019, they tried to:-
    - advance/retard the CAM timing,
    - Cambelt removed and checked
    - Cambelt tensioner checked
    - Water pump checked
    - checked for error codes (none)
    - checked wheels / brakes
    - alignments (latter with another company)
    - engine stats/figures referred to VW Tech Support
    - carbon clean (VW suggestion - not mine)

Surprisingly Parkway were at a loss and could not suggest any more they could do even thou the problem remained. VW Customer Care branded the case as - "no fault found" and closed the case <<< dont get me started. I pulled the vehicle out and reminded them of the Credit agreement act.

I havent done anything else with the vehicle since I took the car back in Feb 2020. Im gobsmacked that VW couldn’t find / resolve this. I later learnt online reviews speak for themselves.

Could this be a sensor problem? The trip computer MPG read out is accurate by 2MPG as ive been recording the figures and comparing it my own MPG calculations.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Hoping someone can help.
    Last edited by randomGuy; 29-04-20 at 05:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you had the post-Dieselgate software update applied at the time of the October 2019 service?
    2013 Golf SE 1.4 TSI (CMBA) DSG Pacific Blue Parking Assistant.
    The Beemer is a bike!

3. Thanks randomGuy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The software update was done before i brought the vehicle. VW Parkway have confirmed that they have not updated the software (post-Dieselgate)

Post Thanks / Like
    A tooth out ?

6. Thanks randomGuy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ..adjusted 3 times by master tech which removed the pinking sound but hasnt returned the MPG / Power

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

No error codes scanned with what a generic scanner?

Who fitted the timing belt?

Thread moved to the correct section as OP can't read sub forum titles,
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me you'll see me again, i should have registered years ago and this wont be my last VAG

Who fitted the timing belt?
    - VW Parkway was the dealership that changed the belt and has dealt with previous services. That novelty is wearing thin thou.

No error codes scanned with what a generic scanner?
    - Ive Scanned it with VCDS for myself when i got the motor and post Cambelt service
    - VW Parkway use some other scanner as i quizzed them on it

Put it this way, a neighbours Seat Altea 2.0TDI 130 gets better MPG than my motor.
    2014 CC BlueMotion R-line 2.0 TDI-CR 170PS

Post Thanks / Like
    EA189 software update.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

11. Thanks randomGuy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which was done prior to his ownership which makes it all the more confusing .

13. Thanks randomGuy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Which was done prior to his ownership which makes it all the more confusing .
    This is it, ive even had VW Parkway remove the Belt check the tensioner, water pump (as a new one was fitted) to ensure it was fitted correctly and had no resistance.
    2014 CC BlueMotion R-line 2.0 TDI-CR 170PS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast