Thread: Log Cranking - Very hard to start, when it decides to!

Post Thanks / Like

Log Cranking - Very hard to start, when it decides to!

Guys,

Posted a couple of months back - was having Starting issue/EML with my 2008 GT Sport 2.0 TDI 170. It's not at 120,000 miles.

Took the car to the garage, had new cam position sensor, crank position sensor, timing belt and a service. Has been fine for two months.

On Friday, came out of work and took a long time to crank. About three attempts. It started, drove it home 75 miles - no lights on dash, full power, ran a treat BUT cruise not working (had worked in the morning).

Got it home - really really hard to start. Long cranking.

Plugged in code reader - NO FAULT CODES!

It's now Sunday and it will start eventually if you put your foot flat to the floor on the throttle. It often tries to start and then turns off immediately (similar to how it behaved when the crank/cam sensors had failed). Strangely, if it starts and you run it, if you turn it off, it doesn't simply re-start - it needs loads of cranking. It's as if the ECU isn't turning the fuel on. If it was fuel pressure, surely it would restart straight away? I suspect electronic fault, but confused by no fault codes.

The lift pump whirrs when the ignition is turned on.

Any ideas for simple stuff it could be? This all means its back to the garage and I have to drive my wife's Freelander all week! Arghhh!

Thanks
    Last edited by BSR67; 10-05-20 at 09:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi , I have a 2008 golf gt 2.0 and mine is doing the same as yours was doing , did you ever get to the bottom of this , thanks in advance to any information you give

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie987 View Post
    Hi , I have a 2008 golf gt 2.0 and mine is doing the same as yours was doing , did you ever get to the bottom of this , thanks in advance to any information you give
    Hi,

Yes. I took the car to a VW independent. They found two broken wires in the engine loom and also replaced the crank position sensor with a genuine VW unit and it has been faultless since.
    2008 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-PD 170PS (BMN)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for your help , I changed the crank sensor with an after market then this morning changed over to an original but still having the same problem,do you know where the wires were broken at all and what they do ?