Thread: possible wheel bolt issue, wheels nearly fell off !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

possible wheel bolt issue, wheels nearly fell off !!!!!

Hi People,

I have recently changed my wheels from alloys to banded steels, upon which a couple of hundred miles later my front wheels tried to leave the car!!!!!

I torqued them up with an impact driver, the car drives true and straight with no signs of unbalance.

which gets me thinking is there different types of bolt for alloys and steels?

can anyone steer me in the right direction on which type I should be using or show me a forum thread teaching me the ways.
    2003 Beetle 2.5 V5

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seanbrown View Post

I torqued them up with an impact driver, the car drives true and straight with no signs of unbalance.

which gets me thinking is there different types of bolt for alloys and steels?
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You tighten the wheel nuts/bolts which the wheel brace that comes with the car, because if you have a puncture you have to put the spare wheel on as you don't carry the impact wrench in the car.

You don't use the impact wrench which tyre places and garages use for speed as they never change the torque setting for different wheels they are always over torqued.

Wheel nuts/bolts have a specific torque.

I'm not aware that alloy wheel nuts/bolts are any different from steel wheels without checking the part numbers.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG steel and alloy bolts are the same, non VAG wheels may use an angle faced bolt instead of a ball face.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)