Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bora TDI front strut removal

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher!

Noted on the shocks and I'm now inclined to agree with you on KYB. Will try one of your recommend on the next job.

Have been using KYB to date but the pair I got online for this job were pitiful. Same part number number, from the same factory but not identical, the brackets weren't even in the same spot. One was supplied in a plain box without the nut and neither had the banding. In the process of returning for refund.

I ended up getting a KYB pair locally which in fact were the only pair of Bora TDI shocks in stock locally but at least they looked right.

Only pitfall is the back plate bolts are welded in with rust so have just pulled the rotted pieces off and left it at that.
    2003 Bora 1.9 TDI-PD, ATD
    2011 Polo 1.2 TDI-CR CFWA

Post Thanks / Like
    If you run without back plates in the winter, the backs of the discs will really suffer from corrosion. Also when driving on the motorway you can experience a momentary loss of response as the pads wipe the discs clean. It is worth remembering there is a HUGE problem with counterfeit car parts, especially of respected makes so it pays to be extremely cautious where you buy things and not buy purely according to cost. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-vehicle-parts
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    I fully concur with what you say on counterfeit car parts which is why I sending the shocks I purchased online back.

And yes, I'd rather have the back plates fitted but would need to get the old bolts out first.

On the matter of torque the driveshaft nut, what you quoted
    'driveshaft nut = lubricate thread and contact faces'
    How can the nylon rim on the nut grip the thread if there grease present?

I presume its feasible to torque up with the wheel on and on the ground rather than using a bar to lock the hub or if I don't have a helper to foot the brake?

2003 Bora 1.9 TDI-PD, ATD
    2011 Polo 1.2 TDI-CR CFWA

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I do the final torque on the deck and an oiled thread doesn’t impair the locking action.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12