Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bora TDI front strut removal

Post Thanks / Like

Bora TDI front strut removal

I intended removing the struts to have a look at the shocks. They look a bit bashed.

The O/S strut is prevented from coming out of the hub. The hub can't lower enough because the drive shaft is impeded by the subframe. I haven't looked at the N/S yet.

Is it practical to contract the spring in situ so the shock can compress and lift out of the hub?

By the way, if shocks are needed, KYB or Sachs for a VW?
    2003 Bora 1.9 TDI-PD, ATD
    2011 Polo 1.2 TDI-CR CFWA

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the left out but not the right. The official way is to disconnect the CV joint in the hub and remove the ball joint to wishbone bolts, so you can draw the hub carrier away and down... The non official way is ****** dangerous and an easy way to lose digits! EVERY single nut and bolt you remove is a Torque To Yield one time only, the wishbone to ball joint bolts usually snap anyway.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    May I ask what the torques are for

driveshaft nut
    lower ball joint bolts
    strut pinch bolt

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    driveshaft nut = lubricate thread and contact faces, off the floor (wheel bolt in one hole with spacer to prevent protrusion damage to ABS ring, use a bar in a disc vent hole as a stop), tighten the 12 point nut to 200Nm and slacken by 90 degrees, rotate the hub 180 degrees then tighten the nut to 50Nm plus 90 degrees, put the car on the ground. With the brakes locked, tighten the nut to 200Nm and loosen half a turn, roll the vehicle 1 meter, tighten the nut to 50Nm. Mark one of the nuts 12 points and make another mark two points further along clockwise but on the hub, then tighten the nut until the marks align... no I am not kidding!

lower ball joint bolts:- 70Nm + 90 degrees (often when using non genuine or old parts, the bolt will rip the tread out of the lock plate)

strut pinch bolt 60 Nm and 90 degrees, NO less than 90 degrees, you can go as far as 120.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher!

I'm surprised at the x3 bolts for the lower ball joint being 70Nm + 90 degrees. I hope I don't snap the new ones I'm getting from VW.

ref: Mark one of the nuts 12 points and make another mark two points further along clockwise but on the hub, then tighten the nut until the marks align... no I am not kidding!

Do I mark on the hub opposiite the next two points?
    Last edited by diyspanner; 21-05-20 at 17:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are putting a 60 degree turn on the nut, i.e. 360/12x2. I am having a struggle putting diagrams on... too time consuming at the moment.

Replace the lock plates as well for the ball joints... even then they still strip but don’t snap in my experience. I don’t personally like the spec and sneak up on it with a torque wrench set at 35Nm (The torque VAG used to quote for this screw) and “feel” for the thread going mushy, it’s the only way I can describe it... years of stripped threads gives you the “feel”

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I presume that none of the after market shocks have the sleeve on the upper tube for the piston rod weather shield to clip on to?

The KYB shocks don't have it fitted and the sleeve doesn't slide of the old one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is common and not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if the after market shocks don't fit the sleeve, they shouldn't state 'made OE specification'.

Post Thanks / Like
    KYB dampers are OK but personally for OE replacement I will only fit Sachs/Boge, TRW or Monroe. I would have expected your original dampers to be 1J0 413 031 BH which for an OE replacement KYB is a 634812 and these don’t come with the boot ring

Many do come with the ring such as Bendix

TRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast