Thread: Starting DJ engine

Post Thanks / Like

Starting DJ engine

Been in storage for 2 years. Any advice on starting her up safely?

My other checks....

I'm removing fuel and replacing with new, and new filter.
    Oil looks clean, I replaced that not long before storing.

I removed battery, putting same one back in. Currently reading 12.45v which is fine normally. I'll give it a charge before reinstalling.

OAT coolant still looks brightly coloured.

Is it worth removing spark plugs and spraying cylinders with a lube?

Anything else I've not thought of?

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's been sitting outside or somewhere there's dust it might be worth taking out the air filter and giving it a shake and blow, probably not strictly necessary, but it certainly won't hurt. If it's only sat for two years and was in good order with fresh oil when stashed up I probably wouldn't bother lubing the cylinders or anything (I'm not a mechanic though), definitely been the right weather recently though, a nice warm few days will help the oil circulate quicker. Also make sure to give the fuel pump time to prime before first full turn of the key, no sense straining the starter motor unnecessarily.

Be interested to hear how it goes, good luck!
    2004 Touran S 1.9 TDI-PD BKC

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, forgot to reply to this! Been busy tackling bodywork.
    Air filter was clean, but good shout.
    Well it started almost immediately, and I was so surprised that I let go of the key and stalled it!
    Second time round it started again and I gave it some beans, plenty of smoke from the fogging oil but it cleared within about 20 seconds and sat idling fairly smoothly. I was rather shocked to be honest! Drove it up and down the drive, having replaced a leaking clutch slave a few months back I wanted to check, but everything seemed fine.
    Few more niggles inside to contend with before MOT time, getting there though