Thread: Starting an old engine

Post Thanks / Like

Starting an old engine

Hello.

My old 1990 T3 Syncro 2.1 has been in storage for 2 years. Any advice on starting her up safely?

My checks....

I'm removing fuel and replacing with new, and new filter.
    Oil looks clean, I replaced that not long before storing.

I removed battery, putting same one back in. Currently reading 12.45v which is fine normally. I'll give it a charge before reinstalling.

OAT coolant still looks brightly coloured.

Is it worth removing spark plugs and spraying cylinders with a lube?

Anything else I've not thought of?

Cheers.
    1990 T3 Syncro 2.1i (DJ)
    2008 Golf mk5 2.0 SDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming the battery is still good, yes I would take the plugs out and get some lubricant in the bores - manually (i.e. with a spanner etc.) turn the engine over by the smallest increment possible and repeat - do this multiple times to account for some pistons being near / at the top of their travel when you start this process. Having said that I once tow-started an old Beetle straight from a 10 year+ layup without anything more than putting fresh fuel in the tank and it was fine - although possibly a few 1000 miles were wiped off the life of the bores and rings in hindsight....

Otherwise I think you're good to go.
    2015 Touran SEL 5T 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS

2004 Audi A2 1.4 TDI-PD 90PS ATL

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/1985-07/1987, Model: Typ 2/Syncro, Engine Code: DJ, 82Kw, 112PS, 2.1 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Type 2 Van, Air Cooled

You don't remove the spark plugs to try easy start you just spray in the intake pipe.

Putting in engine oil in the cylinders via the spark plugs to increase the compressions you only do that when you do a compression check.

Have you got a good spark at the HT leads?

Is fuel getting in does it wet the spark plugs after cranking?

Why the hell do members post using the stupid fonts/colours!!! it looks crap. Just use the default ones. Post edited.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.